HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   1st Time Bow Hunter; Looking for land Advice. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/116582-1st-time-bow-hunter-looking-land-advice.html)

udhorky 10-13-2005 05:56 AM

1st Time Bow Hunter; Looking for land Advice.

This being the 1st year I am really going to be able to dedicate time to bow-hunting (last year I only got out once), I have really made it an effort to find some private land to hunt on. I have the OK to hunt some private land(See picture below). It is 181 acres of farm land (planted some sort of beans this year) and 20 acres of woods. Adjacent to the land is a good section (maybe 75 acres) of woods..
The land is located in South-West Ohio and is close to some wildlife areas and the area in general has quite a few deer. Do to work and school I have been unable to get out and scout but tonight I am heading over to start of the season. I have two stands to hang and I am looking for some expert advice (if you can give me any based of the aerial). I have placed two arrows to where I am thinking of hanging the stands, unless I find some trail coming out of the woods with tracks when I get there.
A little more about the land... The dark area in the middle is not water but some tall grass. This aerial is a little dated and the tall grass area is smaller now but does still exist. Again, they planted beans this year but have planted corn in the past but all the adjacent plots have corn planted.
Any advise any of you could give would be great. Thanks and happy hunting!

Jackson Bowner 10-13-2005 06:38 AM

RE: 1st Time Bow Hunter; Looking for land Advice.

I would say that the stand location closest to the house looks like the better of the two locations. Always be thinking in terms of the predominate wind. Here in Michigan that is southwest. But the other stand to the north would be good with anything out of the north. I would also not discount the grass area in the middle as a potential bedding area. It appears to have a drain of some kind running through it and the deer will travel that drain. I also appears from the aerial that there may be 2 trails of some sort running from the grass area to the second stand to the north. I would want to explore what those imprints on the aerial actually are.Good luck scouting and have a great hunting year!

udhorky 10-13-2005 07:29 AM

I didnt notice what could be 2 trails.. But now that you mention it I will have to check those out. I will have to do a little research on the wind as well. thanks for the help.. Every little bit helps!

huntinwv 10-13-2005 07:54 AM

I would check the area east of the owners house where the woods meet the high grass. Appears to be a funnel.

MikeVT 10-13-2005 09:15 AM

I would also check the upper location for staging areas off the two big fields. Get into the thick stuff and you may catch a buck hanging out waiting for dark. Get about 50-100 yards off the field and you might be in business.

Nord QC Bouman 10-13-2005 10:30 AM

You need to pre-scout the edges for a run and determine which way they are heading and when. My guess is that they hang in the cover until dark, then feed at night. If the bean is soy they are likely heading for the corn, but any other bean they might fed there. The beans are short so they will hang near the edge while feeding. Find the wooded congregation spot they hang in before dark, and I would hunt them both early and latre, comming and going.

The woods looks (and I cannot see it all) to be ~ 50-60 acres and they are likely bedding here fr part of the day - also find the water they use. At least 2 times a day they will frequent the hole. Woods should also have some scrape lines - trees look like oak.

Dufus1964 10-13-2005 10:59 AM

Hunt the corner where the timber juts into the crops. During early bow season set up a ground blind out in the field, that way no matter which trail the deer use, you will be at their destination. You should see a lot of deer using this corner to enter the field. Put the blind out a few days before hunting and use some natural grass or brush to camo it. Once deer get used to the blind, you can move it around to set up a better ambush. Also, I like to dig a trench and bury the edges of my blind in 2" of dirt and tape some Saran Wrap over the shooting windows to keep your scent inside. You can shoot right through the plastic wrapping with bow or gun.

Hunt the food source in the eveningsduring early season and close (but not too close) to the beds in the morning.

Also look for areas where three different habitats meet, i.e., crops, forests, and pasture, or hardwoods, pines and brush, or crops, grass, overgrown fields. These are called wildlife headquarters and typically hold all kinds of wildlife. Remember that deer prefer edge habitat and will only feed near the edge of cover during daylight. If you can get to the deer before hunting pressure puts them on high alert, you should be able to harvest a nice, mature buck.
"Takeyour kids hunging so you don't have to hunt for your kids!" Ted Neugent

"Let the smallbucks grow, shoot a doe!" TDF in Alabama