HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Getting rid of the crossbow..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/116538-getting-rid-crossbow.html)

superman8791 10-12-2005 07:57 PM

Getting rid of the crossbow.....

Ok guys, I had the post asking if anyone hunts with a crossbow. I recently bought a Barnett Quad 400.I have a new developement concerning mine and I thought I should follow up.

After doing some more shooting over the past week or so I have come to the conclusion that a crossbow is just not for me.I REALLY miss shooting a compound alot. I am in no way against crossbows or using them...I still very much condone them for whoever enjoys it. I just dont get much joy out of shooting one and I want to get back to compound shooting.Shooting a crossbow to me is kindalike shooting a quiet rifle at close range. The store I got it from is taking it back and I will get my compound. I am going wth a Martin Jaguar which I have read many good things about..some on this board. I have never owned a Martin, but I am excited to try them out. It should be in either tomorrow or Friday.I will update as it unfolds.

m.t.hands 10-12-2005 08:00 PM

RE: Getting rid of the crossbow.....

i've shot both and i prefer a compound anyday, i was not that impressed with the one i shot, but others hunting with them does not bother me;)

GaBowtechHunter05 10-12-2005 08:04 PM

My buddy shoots a crossbow but i shoot a compound. I'd rather shoot a compound but crossbows shoot extremely fast and flat.

cardeer 10-13-2005 01:11 AM

I have no choice ,but yes a compound is nicer to me also.But I am stuck with a xbow

zak123 10-13-2005 05:19 AM

ORIGINAL: GaBowtechHunter05

My buddy shoots a crossbow but i shoot a compound. I'd rather shoot a compound but crossbows shoot extremely fast and flat.
Although they shoot fast, they do not shoot flat. At thirty yards, the bolt will drop like a rock.

superman8791 10-13-2005 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: zak123

Although they shoot fast, they do not shoot flat. At thirty yards, the bolt will drop like a rock.

I agree, mine shot 345fps, but I have shot compounds that drop less at 30-35yards.

ohiohunter07 10-13-2005 08:21 AM

I shoot a X-bow too, and it shoots good. But I'm wanting to shoot my compound here soon.

GRIZZLYMAN 10-13-2005 09:26 AM

I don't have anything against crossbows, but for me personally, it doesn't feel right if I'm not hunting with my compound bow.

AppleOnMyHead 10-13-2005 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: zak123

I have one pin on my xbow. At 20 - 30 I put it at the bottom of the heart on my target. At 30-40 I put it dead center on the heart. I choose not to shoot past 40. 2 - 3" (at most) difference in aming yields the same results moving between 30 and 40 yards. A deers heart is about the size of your fist. If you have a compound that will consistently shoot an arrow with less drop than half your fist between 30 - 40 yards, using the same pin and aiming at the same spot on a target or deer, come show me, bring your reciept, and I will buy the bow from you at double what you paid for it.

Dufus1964 10-13-2005 11:30 AM

Hunted with xbow last season, didn't feel as confident as with my compound bow. I can hit my 3D in the eye from anywhere in my yard. Haven't missed a live target with compound. Son is using the xbow, he prefers it over his compound -easier toset-up and get accurate placement. I agree that the shorter bolts vs longer arrows is a hinderance, but once sighted in correctly, the xbow is a deadly deer slaying tool in experienced hands. I personally will continue to hunt with a compound. Just bought a Switchback, I LOVE IT.

"Let the young bucks grow, shoot a doe."