Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lunar tables / best time to hunt / etc.... >

Lunar tables / best time to hunt / etc....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lunar tables / best time to hunt / etc....

Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Lunar tables / best time to hunt / etc....

Hey there. Quick question....

Do any of you guys truely rely on those "best times to hunt/fish" type of lunar, moon, tables and stuff that you see in magazines and on the internet?

I checked one out for Virginia, and it kept coming up with Mon Oct 17th, 2:45pm as a best day with excellent conditions, etc... But it is also a full moon evening. I double checked another magazine article and it too mentioned Oct 17th.

So, long story short: Can you really trust those moon table guides and "best times to hunt" mumbo-jumbo stuff?

Thanks....

Edit: See? Here's an example from ESPN....
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/tips/s/g_fea_astro_tables.html
Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lunar tables / best time to hunt / etc....

I don't really buy into it, whole hog, but it does SEEM like I see more activity when the moon is visible, justabove the horizon.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

think about it, it's lighter during a full moon, so it would seem to me that the deer are more prone to move during the middle of the night.

atleast thats my philosophy
Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 AM

We have been watching a lot of hunting vids. Primetime bucks 7 says hunt agressively the week b-4 the hunters moon (oct 17th) they say does peak during the week of the hunters moon....RUT is early this year
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 AM

Last four years 3 bucks Nov 15 1 buck Nov 14

Moon was different from year to year. yet these bucks were all in rut at the exact same time 4 years apart.

I would watch the weather. I think that has more of an impact on deer movement than the moon.

I do agree with Arthur P....When you can see the moon on the horizon while the sun is up. get ready !!!!!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never really found it to be acurate. right in the middle of the last full moon phase for example I saw more bucks moving early, even out into the fields well before dark than I had prior to the phase where they we hadnt seen any deer feeding until just before dark which was just prior to FMP but who knows. After 21 years it still never the same year after year. I agree with what people say about weather changes, seems to be easier to predict the deer movementthan going by the moon phases <shrug>
Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 AM

I have been trying to figure this out for years. Sometimes the solunar tables hit it perfect and other times you scratch your head and say WTF. I agree with the weather change deal. It seems I see more deer when we have a sudden temp or humidity drop (I hunt in GA so we don't get the cold y'all get up north). I also don't believe that anyone can say that the rut will start at such and such a date. It varies from year to year based on who knows what all. Rut in MN may vary well come sooner than the rut in central GA. If this was an exact science we would all have full freezers and P&Ys all over the wall.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

In a perfect world of constant weather, no hunting pressure etc etc it might be so. Unfortunately none of it is perfect. Go whenever you can is the best advice.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil
Go whenever you can is the best advice.
Thanks... What day/time was it when you took that deer in the famous "heart shot photo"? What scent did you use, what camo pattern did you wear, what did you eat for breakfast, etc...?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't afford to pick and choose. If I was planning a hunting trip I MAY consider such things (most likely I'd go with traditional rut days). For the most part I go whatever days I'm able to go and hope I see something.

Quick Reply: Lunar tables / best time to hunt / etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.