Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scent blocking gum... >

scent blocking gum...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent blocking gum...

Old 10-11-2005, 01:50 PM

Default RE: scent blocking gum...

"I can't believe that someone is serious about thier breath scent. Deer don't know or care what your breath smells like. they won't know what it was if they smelled it".
Bees-
A lot of us are serious about our breath. IMO, it is the thing mostly likely to get you busted assuming you bath once in a while and aren't some sweaty stinky pig.
How do you know deer don't care what your breath smells like? Any facts you would care to present? I guess deer must be really dumb then, to ignore another animal's breath nearby because obviously that means nothing important regarding survival to them.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no comment
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breath is a BIG giveaway in deer scenting you. While baking soda is a good idea prior to hunting, it's impractical to carry it with you IMO. Keeping your mouth closed and breathing through your nose is the best solution. It's also the cheapest.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveH

Breath is a BIG giveaway in deer scenting you. While baking soda is a good idea prior to hunting, it's impractical to carry it with you IMO. Keeping your mouth closed and breathing through your nose is the best solution. It's also the cheapest.
I'm not sure exactly what difference breathing through your mouth versus your nose is really going to make. Your breath is still coming out of your lungs, it's just going up another inch or two before it comes out. There isn't any less of it coming out either. and why would the odor from your breathing not travel as far as the rest of your scent? Color me confused on that logic.

I have to admit that when I first heard of the Gum-O-Flage idea it struck me as rather ridiculous however the more you think about it the more sense it makes. Your expell a much greater amount of gas from your lungs by breathing constantly than you do odor that simply emits from your skin while sitting in your stand. And unless you can hold your breath for about 3-4 hours at a time that's not likely to change anytime soon.

In the end I'm not completely sold on the idea, but I certainly think it warrants more attention that some people are giving it.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna bump this one back to the top. I'm still waiting on answers from some of the naysayers.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I'm not a nay-sayer..And I'm the guy who'll buy every new gadget or gimmic out there. I just cannot name one instance where my breath was the only likely culprit of me getting busted. I chew copenhagen and generally carry a spit bottle, but when I forget, it I spit on the ground. I've not had any deer spook because of this.

It seems I ignore breath,But I am in scentlok from my feet to the top of my head. I guess I do breathe through a scent-lok mask so maybe that helps?? Dunno. But if you think of say regular breath versus some minty fresh toothpaste which has more smell?? Gum-o-flauge may work, the jury is still out..but i bet the cashier gets a chuckle everytime she rings it up!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

ORIGINAL: DaveH

I'm not sure exactly what difference breathing through your mouth versus your nose is really going to make. Your breath is still coming out of your lungs, it's just going up another inch or two before it comes out. There isn't any less of it coming out either. and why would the odor from your breathing not travel as far as the rest of your scent? Color me confused on that logic.
The human nasal passage basically goes up, makes and 180 turn, and goes back down (your nose). This "design flaw" makes it more difficultfor odors to get into, or out of, the nose.A deers nasal passage is basically straight and this is one of many reasons they have such a great sense of smell not only compared to humans, but to many other animals. Now, I don't know about gum-o-flage however. I think breathing through your nose and not releasing any voluntary gases, i.e.beer andcamp chili farts, is probably enough if all other precautions are taken.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save your money, I chew Copenhagen when in stand every time. So do my hunting buddies. Two of us shot deer Monday, and it is safe to say we have shot many deer with our bows while chewing tobacco.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 AM

The bacteria that grows in your mouth is what puts off the nasty breath smell. I dunno i guess if i sat on my stand with my mouth wide open i might use a gum o flauge,, but i cant think of one time on the stand i had my mouth open?? who actually keeps there mouth open while hunting LOL. So i just dont see the need for no crazy gum o flauge. Heck you watch hunting shows on TV, those guys talk to the camera man while the deer is walkin up.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Spike

It's a fact that chew doesn't spook deer, in fact they are often attracted to tabacco, but that doesn't meangum-o-flage does or doesn't reduce odor from your breath.

Quick Reply: scent blocking gum...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.