HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Just wondering how they do it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/116045-just-wondering-how-they-do.html)

MR.D 10-09-2005 07:27 AM

Just wondering how they do it?

In several pics posted of successful hunters with their deer I noticed that some deer are not field dressed. Some pics are at the homeand some are in vehicles. Where do you people gut these deer? Dont get me wrong I am NOT criticizing you I just want to know if I have been doing it the hard way for the past 30+ years.
Thanks

Mathewsboy 10-09-2005 08:08 AM

RE: Just wondering how they do it?

I wonder that too..!

I always gut the deer where I shoot it, maybe sometimes I'll drag it a little ways.. But dragging a deer at least 1/4 of a mile still not dressed? Thats just crazy.

AF Hunter 10-09-2005 08:09 AM

Personally, I field dress as soon as I kill (after the picture of course). I guess it would be personal preference.

Paul L Mohr 10-09-2005 08:46 AM

I think most of them are field dressed, you just can't see it. Some people field dress a deer differently. Some just cut a small opening and pull everything out of it instead of splitting the pelvis and really opening the deer up. This is how I was taught to do it. I trim around the anus, remove the sexual organs then slit the windpipe at the throat. Then I make a small incision under the breast bone. Big enough to get both hands in. Then remove the intestines. After that I cut the diaphram reach in side and remove the lungs, heart and windpipe. It's not quite as easy as it sounds, but it works and very little meat is exposed or touched.

Some processors will the gut the deer for you for a fee though. Maybe that is what some are doing. I don't think it's that big of a deal if it's cool out and you get it there in a timely fashion. If I shoot a deer in the morning it is usually at the butcher that day.

Like you guys though, I field dress the deer where it lays usually. It makes the them lighter to drag;)

Paul

Mastevt 10-09-2005 08:52 AM

MY buddies and I, always, drag the deer out of the hunting area, and bring them to where we park, (private land) and gut them there. We havae too many yotes and farm dogs that run loose. This helps keep them out of the stand sites.
Good luck to all.

JeramyK 10-09-2005 09:42 AM

Usually I'll gut it where I find it. Unless I'm really close to a location where I can do the work. Such asa camp, friends home, etc.

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-09-2005 09:46 AM

That's why I don't take my deer to the butcher. I take the time to gut mine and keep it as clean as a whistle. You take it to the butcher and he throws it in the pile with 50 other deer. Some gutted, some not. You don't know how long those other deer were left on the ground or what. Some claim you get your deer but it isn't true. They grind them up all together. Forget that I'll do my own. Ever notice when you cut out a back strap it's about 10 inches around and 2 feet long. How come when the butcher does it, it suddenly shrinks?

bscofield 10-09-2005 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

That's why I don't take my deer to the butcher. I take the time to gut mine and keep it as clean as a whistle. You take it to the butcher and he throws it in the pile with 50 other deer. Some gutted, some not. You don't know how long those other deer were left on the ground or what. Some claim you get your deer but it isn't true. They grind them up all together. Forget that I'll do my own. Ever notice when you cut out a back strap it's about 10 inches around and 2 feet long. How come when the butcher does it, it suddenly shrinks?
I can't speak for all butchers everywhere BUT I can tell you that I mentioned that old wives tale to a friend of mine who has been a butcher in a big hunting area for 40 years. His face instantly got red and he said that that stupid old theory was just a slap in the face to guys like him because they were PAINSTAKINGLY careful to keep everyone's meat seperate and make sure that everybody's meat was everybody's meat.

Not trying to pick on you, I just can't help but think how offended he was (this butcher in particular) at how ungrateful hunters were to him and his trade.

FYI, for anyone in the area this guy is retired but the place he bragged about was the most popular butcher (can't remember the name right now) in Troy, IL. Right across the river (about 10 miles) from ST. Louis.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just needed to post this. Might start another thread...

cardeer 10-09-2005 11:50 AM

I noticed that,some dont even have holes and looks like they had a grooming and perm

tsoc 10-09-2005 01:56 PM

Cardeer you are a funny dude,after reading your post I had visions of the makeup crew running to the fallen beast and getting it all beautiful for the photo shoot.
One of my pet peeves with deer being photographed is the hunter not sticking the deers tongue back in it's mouth.It takes a few seconds and makes for much better pictures.
I will drag an ungutted deer to get it away from a run way or away from scrapes or possibly even off a particular flat,but no further than is necessary.