Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Someone Please Explain This >

Someone Please Explain This

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Someone Please Explain This

Old 10-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Someone Please Explain This

Blind was setup 3 weeks in advance. Been left alone for 3 weeks too. The only difference was the "window" was opened enough to see and shoot through.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Thats deer language for " hey buddy you ain't shootin nothing today!"

Old 10-09-2005, 07:01 PM

ask yourself one ? did you have fun
Old 10-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never had a buck react this way to a ground blind though I have had them do it to me when they couldn't figure out what I was...shaggy ghillie suit...up against a tree, etc... My guess was he was just trying to make you move or give yourself away.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once the heart quit pounding.....I felt fortunate that I had got within 20 or so feet of a buck while on the ground. I was pissed at myself for not having the right window open to shoot on the second try around. It is definately something I will remember the rest of my life.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:45 AM

I watched an interesting show on this yesterday. The guy, said there are 4 types of deer blow/snorts. Alarm/Distress is 2 or 3 blows followed by a wheezing sound as they run away. Alarm only, is 2 or 3 blows - when the doe feels something isn't right, but doesn't smell or see you. Just thinks something isn't right. The other 2 were social snorts (i missed the end).

The guys point was you can occasionally use the snorts to effectively locate and call deer, especially when driving deer to hunting partners. The snorts will sometimes push bucks from heavy cover, and also other deer will snort back instinctively. Wish I could remember the name of the show....i think it was OLN.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:01 AM

I saw that show, lots of good info.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I placed my ground blind out about a month ago and the deer are just getting used to seeing it. It may take a while for them to get used to it. Also even though threes shadow guard in the blind, it doesnt help of you have all windows open I open only two windows where I expect the deer to be comming in from. To my north and to my west. West being my main window for ops. I am set in a thick patch of pines with a corn field no more that 20 yards to the east of me (Behind me), and to the north all I see is pines, to the west I over look a swail that is heavilly used. I keep the south window and the east windows closed because if a deer was going to come in from the south id be able to see them from my west window and to the east theyd have to come in from the north, so I keep the east window closed. Makes it a little darker in there, and when it starts gettig a bit darker i open the windows just enough to let a little bit of light in to see my sights.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 AM

If I were you I would leave the flaps in the same position they will be when you hunt, just my opinion.

I have a blind about 50 yards inside a woodline and it is a fresh setup. In the evenings deer stay in the field until after dark so last night I was in the field. Of course, I watched 3 deer go to the woods earlier than normal and they left on the trail going...RIGHT TO MY BLIND. They all snorted at it, and none of them ran from it. When the first deer snorted, the other deer were still in the field and rather than run or turn around, they immediately started walking to where the first deer snorted.

POINT:
Just causea deer snorts doesn't mean they smell you and they don't always run. If they can't smell you or can barely smell you, they will snort and investigate. If they see something unusual, they may snort. If that buck hasn't noticed that blind before, he may have been snorting at the blind. I have had them snort many times within 50 yards of my position, but not run from me.