Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Made bad shot other day, feedback please >

Made bad shot other day, feedback please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Made bad shot other day, feedback please

Old 10-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default RE: Made bad shot other day, feedback please

good news... he's dead
the other news is this...
dad and i decide to go out and he tells me he's going to hunt where i shot this buck and hit him on wednesday... i told him he's crazy and he won't see anything.. so anyways i go my way and he goes his... around 6:15 i get this call on the radio to come to him but to come on the south side of his treestand.. so i figure he has a buck in the thicket and wants me to push it to him.. i'm about 90 yards away from the treestand when i see my dad sitting there with the buck i shot at on wednesday.. so i run up and am just bewildered that he found him right there... then i begin to notice.. a blood trail and fresh blood... my dad ended up shooting the buck at the same place i shot at him.. i guess he was a deer of habit and was going towards our fields to feed... we ended up skinning the hind quarters and found where i hit him.. i hit all fat and i have no clue where the blood on the arrow came from... anyways the buck is fantastic and i am going to post some pics on here soon
he measures at 20 1/2 inches wide and stands at 13 inches tall.. he is a dandy 9 point with 5 on the left and 4 on the right.. dad wants to argue a point on the right but last year i got a nice 8 point that i thought was a 10 and he wouldn't give me the two points.. so anyways i'm glad he got the chance to see that i wasn't bull****ting about the deer and that the deer was still alive.. i told him i slowed it down for him because he's getting to old and i wanted him to have a chance.. haha..
what amazes me is that the deer came down the same trail i told my dad that he came down...
pics will be uploaded soon, whenever i can find a digital camera
Old 10-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good news man, you couldn't have hurt him that bad ifhe came waltzing down the same trail in the same place. Congrats to your pops, its nice to see one of these threads with a happy ending
Old 10-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck he probably came down the same trail hopeing for another back scratch.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, isnt it always nice that you miss then dandy, then your dad shoots him? If that happened to me, I'd be very excited. More happy than if I put the death shot on him. I'm still waiting this year for my 72 yr old father to harvest one..
Old 10-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

You'll get some blood when you cut through the skin. When you get an arrow with all the fat you originallydescribed there's only a couple ways to get it, real high, real low across the breast bone and across the brisket....none of which are vital hits.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Spike

I'm happy he got it... it could be his last buck ever and it is a dandy.. but the past 3 years he's shotten a buck that i spotted first.. one time i was walking to him after he got home from work and he was just sitting in one of our hayfields and i pushed up a buck and 5 minutes later i heard the shot and then the call on the radio to come help gut and drag it... i'm always happy when there's venison to eat
Old 10-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Good deal. Same thing happened to me Sat. I ended up killing a doe that my brother had shot the previous weekend. He had also hit her high and back. She was sure moving slow but no worse for the wear.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:55 PM

Congrats i bet that sort of thing doesn't happen often.