Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another State Land Post... >

Another State Land Post...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another State Land Post...

Old 10-07-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Another State Land Post...

How many of you guys hunt on state land each year? I've seen far more deer on private land in past comparisons, but these days have few options available and am being forced to hunt with the masses. Whats your success rate and any other info you want to share?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:37 AM

Default RE: Another State Land Post...

This is my first year on public land, no deer yet but it's very early for me!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

We hunt them both up here in the UP of Michigan and so far the success rate has been pretty equal. Our nicest buck taken out of camp (rifle) was taken on State land on opening morning 2 years ago. You just have to be at the right place at the right time because he was surrounded by people and 150 yards off our property.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

I avoid it at all costs during the PA firearms season. I don't like bullets flying over my head, confrontations with other hunters, people sitting in front of you etc.... PA hasgot to be the worstfor dealing with idiots onpublic land for gun season. You will get shot if you don't watch where you go. But bow season, yes, I've done some damage to the herd; trick is, do some legwork and try to find a little spot where nobody else is going. Some of my favorite little rut spots are on game lands, mostly because the "casual hunters" quit when it gets cold in november, and I can pick my spots anytime. Some of these little spots are only 30 yards from the public road, but nobody hunts them. Seems they all travel waay back to get away from the crowd. It takes some creativity, and sometimes reverse thinkingto bag bucks on public land. Some guys will park the truck and walk right through a hot rub or scrape line on their way to the deep wildnerness..........while every buck I've taken on public land in the past5 years have been less than 200 yard drags back to the truck.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I almost always hunt state and other public land.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

WONT DO IT
Old 10-07-2005, 04:59 PM

I was planning on hitting some state game areas this weekend but I just got permission to hunt a farm with some incredible sign. Hopefully I can put some meat in the freezer. I will be hunting state land this year too. I won't venture back there in gun season though, one because I usually only bowhunt and secondly because I don't feel like getting shot. Hehe. I've seen 40 or more guys hunting friggin two tracks with rifles. Can you say insane??? Good luck guys... Wack'm and Stack'm!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I have fairly good luck on state land. However, it's state land I've hunted for a lot of years and have gotten to know what deer will do. Most of my hunting on state land is predicated on what the deer will do to flee from the masses. I find a hideout or travel route into one and park myself for an all day stay. Prime times(other than early AM) are between 10-3 when the masses leave the woods for lunch, get antsy or come back. Excape routes between large blocks of timber are good also.