Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who got you into Bowhunting >

Who got you into Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Dad
20.90%
Brother
5.08%
Hunting Buddy
19.21%
Other Relative
9.60%
Other
14.12%
Self
31.07%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Who got you into Bowhunting

Old 10-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who got you into Bowhunting

I used to have to take my wife to garage sales to haul crap back in my truck vs her carrying in her compact foreign job. Not my idea of a good time so I decided to buy some manly toys in the hopes she would not want to hang out with me during these times. Bought a radial arm saw, chainsaw, wood chipper, ...until one day I saw a Bear Magnum for $50. I always wanted to try archery but compound bows were expensive enough for me to always pass. Didn't want to invest a lot of money into something I might very well suck at. Bought the bow 2 years ago and started target practicing. Was alright, but not good. Went to an archery store and they fitted me with a bow that was correct for me and let me use the range for free. No time at all was robin hooding arrows. Traded the Bear fora Jennings and am now in my first year bow hunting.
BTW, it worked, when I started buying toys, the wife decided to leave me at home while she bought junk.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

What got me to finally try a bow was , ironically , my crossbow .
Once I started flinging those little arrows I got to wondering about flinging the bigger ones so I borrowed a recurve and practiced with it until I was ready to try hunting with one . Now I own my own bow , a 50# PSE Kudu , along with the crossbow and hunt with both . My inspiration for buying a recurve was partly my Uncle Dennis who used to hunt with one , and being too lazy to maintain a compound .
Old 10-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

My best friend and wife’s cousin... and my wife has been mad at him ever since !
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 AM

no one in my family hunts so i had to do everything on my own. But i really like to teach myself so it was fun. One thing that helped ALOT was this forum. Thanks to everyone on here. I am 19 and there are a few kids that live near me that are 13, 14, and 16 that always watch me shoot my bow, and said it looks sooo fun. Well i told them to talk to their parents and see if they could get some equipment and i would show them some stuff. They all got bows and sights and rests and all the important stuff but for got to get arrows and releases. Well i have like 10 releases so i gave them all a release and i also have about 10 dozen aluminium arrows so i gave them all a dozen and some field tips for them. Now they are out bow hunting and i take them with me ALOT the 14 year old just shot a 7 pointer out of my blind with me video taping, but it wasn't a great shot and we couldn't recover the deer. He was a little bit bummed but i told him it happens to every one.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 AM

Got into it myself. I shotgun hunted for years and just wanted something more challenging.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:17 AM

myself, I have just loved to shoot a bow
Old 10-13-2005, 09:15 PM

I got into bow hunting by watching the Outdoor Channel. Being from NYC, I had never hunted before. Once I started though, I felt I had to get into all aspects of it.After gearing up for Deer hunting (rifle), and duck hunting, I thought I'd givebow huntinga chance. I bought my first bow, a PSE Nova, and eventually worked my way to my current Mathews Legacy. Never looked back. Now i'm trying to get my friends back home to get into hunting too.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:19 PM

My husband got me started. This is my 3rd season
Old 10-14-2005, 04:18 AM

My dad took me bowhunting when I was 6 months old (no kidding) - wrapped in a blanket at the bottom of his feet in a ground blind. I can't ever remember not going bowhunting - well at least sitting in a blind until I was old enough to hunt myself.

He bought bows to the hospital when both of my sons were born (the nurses loved that). This weekend we are taking my boys up to camp (ages 6 and 8) and each of us will have one with us in tent blinds - makes things a little more challenging than the usual treestand by yourself. My oldest son has done nothing but watch hunting videos for the last 4 days - he's more excited about going up than he is before Christmas. I haven't been able to get a shot at a deer yet with one of them with me, but this year I think I can get enough days in with them to make it happen (if I can just get them to sit still for more than 30 minutes!).

Neither of them has any hope of not getting hooked - next year all four of us (Grandpa, me and the two boys) are joining an 3D league as partners. We'll probably have the lowest scores in the league, but I'll bet there won't be many other teams that have more fun.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

My best friend really forced bowhunting on to me back in '99. I was interested, but not passionate about it. He set me up w/ his back-up bow...68# High Country. He bought all the accessories, arrows, broadheads, etc. (had to pay him back, but it was a bargain) for me and explained how it all went together. Practiced quite a bit before I first went out. Very first day in the stand had a mature doe at about 30 yards in front of me...froze like a 15 year old at my first high school dance.

We don't really hunt together much anymore, but I'll never forget what he did for me.

Quick Reply: Who got you into Bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.