Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who got you into Bowhunting >

Who got you into Bowhunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Dad
20.90%
Brother
5.08%
Hunting Buddy
19.21%
Other Relative
9.60%
Other
14.12%
Self
31.07%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Who got you into Bowhunting

Old 10-06-2005, 02:20 PM

Default RE: Who got you into Bowhunting

My dad got me started. I used to sit out in the backyard and watch him shot his recurve. I asked him if
I could shoot too and he took to the local bow shop where he purchased me a hoyt excel. The rest is history.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got myself into it. when i was little i was very interested in all types of hunting and talked my dad into getting me a small compound( he didn't hunt much other than squirrels) and i taught myself to shoot. then my mom bought me my next bow. then after i outgrew it( about 6+ months ago) i worked and got my own bow which i'm using now for hunting.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:54 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I got myself into it as well. My dad passed away when I was 1 and mom never remarried. My dad had a Bear recurve that hung on our wall as long as I can remember. Mom finally let me start shooting the thing when I was 13, it lasted about 2 weeks before the top limb twisted and cracked. Saved my money and bought a compound a year later and away I went. Like a lot of others I hadn't a clue what I was doing. My quiver contained about 4 different sizes and lenghts of arrows all with different broadheads, which I never practice shot. I couldn't afford a sight and even with all the mismatched equipment was really accurate out to thirty yards and even managed to kill a few does. My mom wouldn't let me rifle hunt alone but allowed bowhunting so it was a natural choice. She would get up at 4 am every saturday and sunday morning, drive me to where I hunted and sleep in the car until I was done. She used to go along in the afternoons but not the morning. So while I got myself into it my mom had a big hand in it as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mez

I got myself into it as well. My dad passed away when I was 1 and mom never remarried. My dad had a Bear recurve that hung on our wall as long as I can remember. Mom finally let me start shooting the thing when I was 13, it lasted about 2 weeks before the top limb twisted and cracked. Saved my money and bought a compound a year later and away I went. Like a lot of others I hadn't a clue what I was doing. My quiver contained about 4 different sizes and lenghts of arrows all with different broadheads, which I never practice shot. I couldn't afford a sight and even with all the mismatched equipment was really accurate out to thirty yards and even managed to kill a few does. My mom wouldn't let me rifle hunt alone but allowed bowhunting so it was a natural choice. She would get up at 4 am every saturday and sunday morning, drive me to where I hunted and sleep in the car until I was done. She used to go along in the afternoons but not the morning. So while I got myself into it my mom had a big hand in it as well.
Wow! That was a great story. Your Mom must be a special lady. Good luck this season.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am proud to say Antler Eater got me into ths crazy sport. I couldn't imagine not bowhunting.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Guy at work was talkin bout how good he could shoot a bow, i was like pfftt i can do that, bought a durango off of Ebay.Discovered i love shooting it.....The rest is history, as they say.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Mez....That's a GREAT story, there.

My first post.....My dad had an old recurve around when I was a kid, but I never remember seeing him shoot it, even once. I used to play around with it....but like someone else said....it soon cracked!

I got married @ 39 yrs old....just 1-1/2 yrs ago. My wife has a (now) 13 yr old from her previous marriage. We live in the country....and our nearest neighbor has a son who's 18 that is an avid and VERY adequate bow hunter. Another neighbor is an expert archer.....and our son has naturally been mesmerized when watching them shoot. The younger neighbor recently upgraded bows....and that left one availble for our son. The price was right....and we bought it for him. I bought him a membership to the range @ the local archery shop (which is only 3 miles from our house) and it looked like so much fun....I thought I'd try it. I also thought it was something he and I could do....together.

I bought my first compound bow without ever having shot one (just being honest). I also have a friend that guides elk hunts in CO that helped me with my buying decision.....but I was TOTALLY clueless. I've only been shooting a short time.....but I'm confident to about 25yds. My goal is turkeys with the bow. We'll see.

Great forums here, guys......I hope you'll tolerate my questions.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2005, 06:10 AM

I took the initiative to start bowhunting myself, but my parents were both avid bowhunters. They both gave me pointers and fueled my passion of the great sport of archery.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

You guys wont believe me but it was Fred Bear, He taught me how to shoot, for real. I don't care if you believeme or not but when I was 12 I rode my bike down to the archery shop by my house and fred was in talking to his friend old man Erno, we'll he got to talking to me about shooting a bow and we went out back for a couple of hours and he showed me how to shoot. any way about a week later I stoped in to the shop and old Man Erno said fred had something for me and it was a bow made by him. but I had to work for it , so I worked at the shop and thats how I got into it.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:56 AM

I got myself into it when I decided to move up from slingshots back in 1954.

Quick Reply: Who got you into Bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.