Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 fringe benefit of hunting >

fringe benefit of hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fringe benefit of hunting

Old 10-06-2005, 06:23 PM

Default RE: fringe benefit of hunting

Puffballs are edible until they turn green, then they are not anymore. Probably some of the best are the Black Morels, highly priced to because they are so hard to find.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Default RE: fringe benefit of hunting

PA Bowhunter/RWK-
I picked the puffball to show my wife and kids. I had no idea at the time it was edible until I researched it on line. There is one similar mushroom that is poisonous, but it has gills. Puffballs are solid and all white inside, sort of like a giant marshmellow. Nothing else looks like them. Interestingly, this thing grew from the size of a softball to abasketball in only 3 days (I ignored it the first time I saw it, but after it grew like it did, Ifigured I had to pick it.)
If you like mushrooms, I would highly recommend you try one of these if you find one. Little butter, some onions and voila! Very tasty on bread. Just make sure you cut it open to make sure it does not have gills!