Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Deer of the Year in NC + Pics >

First Deer of the Year in NC + Pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Deer of the Year in NC + Pics

Old 10-06-2005, 08:46 AM

Default First Deer of the Year in NC + Pics

Finally everything came together for me here in NC. I've been seeing deer just about every time I've been hunting, but I never had a shot opportunity until this past Monday.

I got into the stand around 2:30 in a wooded funnel where deer have been passing through every afternoon. At about 4:30 I had a fawn come into my corn pile which you can see in the picture below. Finally after an hour of watching her right below my stand she ran off. 10 minutes later her and two big does came in to the corn pile. There was a huge 120 lb. + doe, a 100 pound doe, and then the fawn. I already had my bow on my lap from when the fawn came in so I was ready. I then proceeded to turn on the light to my sight, which the big doe saw immediately. She was looking right at me trying to figure out what was going on in the tree, and then she got real nervous. She started heading in the direction she came in, and I wasn't able to get a shot off on her. As the other deer began to follow her, the second largest doe offered a shot and I took it. It was a quartering away shot at 20 yards and I hit her right where I wanted. She ran off crashing about 50 yards away up the trail they had come in on. I was shaking so bad from the encounter I couldn't get down outa the tree for 15 minutes. Finally I got down, walked up the trail, and there she was. Relief finally settled in as I knew I had my first deer of the year.

Just a side note to the story. I am taking my light off my sight because it just seems to spook deer too easily.

Here are the pics from that afternoon.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First Deer of the Year in NC + Pics

Congrates
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Congratulations! Where in NC do you hunt? I generally hang out at the Falls of Neuse-Butner gamelands (in Raleigh), or else a friend's private 60 acres nearby.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:47 AM

Congrats!!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM

congrats man!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations. Beautiful animal, great story and awesome pics.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Congrats...First one of the year is always nice to get under your belt.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done on the first of the year. What kind of a light are you using? I have the trophy ridge light on my site and it too was very bright, so I took a black magic marker and put a big spot on the bulb. It works like a charm. I also only use my light when completely necessary.

Quick Reply: First Deer of the Year in NC + Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.