Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The role of a guest on hunting land >

The role of a guest on hunting land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The role of a guest on hunting land

Old 10-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The role of a guest on hunting land

I've been invited to hunt a private 80 acres of hardwoods/cedar swamp surrounded by more private land, woods, and farm fields. There is talk of a couple nice bucks and a really good shooter that have been seen in the late summer and early season on this property. There are no common rules such as no 6pointers, only 8's, or doe only, or whatever. Just a flat out invite to join some guys in the October Michigan woods.

I know the work the fella that invited me has put into this property in the way of prepping for season and patterning one particular buck for betterh than a year. He even told me I could take his choice stand for a night hunt. So let's assume I'm (or you) are in the stand and here comes this 150+ class buck the owner has been drueling over for a year but hasn't had the opportunity for a shot yet this season, and missed him last season. I don't know the guy that well, just do business with him a few times per year, but we both have that common passion for bow hunting. Even though I have been told that nothing is off limits, I'm not so sure I could waltz in there for a three hour hunt and take his trophy he has patterned and hunted so hard for.

Would you take him?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The role of a guest on hunting land

Nothing off limits means you sure can but it is also a ethics ? I myself would probably let him pass just because of the nice gesture that this guy gave to you by inviting you onto his land. It would be hard though.[]
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shoot 'im!! BUT, after words, I would do my best to show my gratitude every chance I got, and maybe even create some chances, invite over for supper for instance, to show my appreciation for the opportunity!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 AM

Yes. What is to say some neighbor doesn't take him if you don't.

I'm sure the guy would "almost" get as much enjoyment knowing and seeing you take down that buck than not knowing what happened to him if someone else gets him.

Tough call though, but if you get a shot you should take it.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 AM

I would not. I wouldn't want to chance not being invited back. There's plenty other bucks out there.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would likely pass him up strictly out of courtesy for your buddy. I'm sure he would appreciate it.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: MDNewbie

Yes. What is to say some neighbor doesn't take him if you don't.

I'm sure the guy would "almost" get as much enjoyment knowing and seeing you take down that buck than not knowing what happened to him if someone else gets him.

Tough call though, but if you get a shot you should take it.
Exactly. I would donate the mount to his hunting cabin if he has one. Maybe get a replica made for the house or something.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

On the 600 acres I own and regularly invite a few choosen friends to hunt on, my policy has always been that since "I" invited you, "I" accept the fact that a trophy may be taken by the friend, unless I've specifically asked them not to shoot at a certain deer or size deer. I actually usually approach it a different way. All does(unless with fawn) are fair game and all bucks over 8 pts are fair game. Usually gets them excited and puts them at ease if they do take a trophy. Taz
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 AM

Bob, We have invited numerous friends to come hunt with us....the possibility of them taking "OUR" deer is always there. But, you deal with it or you don't invite anyone to your property...that's no fun. I'm sure he realizes this and wants you to come hunt and enjoy yourself. Take a gift, and if you see HIS 150, you'll know what to do.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Will taking the buck change your business relationship with him? Think of the big picture and remember its the fun of the hunt that counts.

Quick Reply: The role of a guest on hunting land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.