Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The role of a guest on hunting land >

The role of a guest on hunting land

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The role of a guest on hunting land

Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The role of a guest on hunting land

Why not just come straight out and ask him? Just be up front and present the scenario and see what he says.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes , if it walked close enough I'd take it .

When he made the unrestricted offer to hunt he understood that you might take the buck that he's been pursuing and accepts that . A real sportsman would shake your hand and congratulate you if you do take it because he knows that the deer doesn't "belong" to him .
Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes , if it walked close enough I'd take it .

When he made the unrestricted offer to hunt he understood that you might take the buck that he's been pursuing and accepts that . A real sportsman would shake your hand and congratulate you if you do take it because he knows that the deer doesn't "belong" to him .
That's exactly the reason I think I would not shoot this buck - because of his open hospitality. No, it's not "his" buck and he realizes that just as he realizes that by inviting me and placing me in the choice stand on the property there's a chance that wall hanger will show up there. Honestly, I can't say for sure either way, my gut is telling me no right now out of respect, but given the chance with a full go-ahead, I'm not sure. One thing I've learned over the years afield is that no deer or trophy can replace friendships and time spent in the field with friends and family that share the same passion. It just makes the world a better place IMO.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM

Think about this from the stand point that you are the one that did the inviting. This happened to me. I had taken a buck during bow season so I didn't have a tag for gun season. I had a buddy that had not even seen a deer all season. So I put him in my best stand where I hunt. That morning we saw a small buck but did not get a shot. But that evening there was a big buck that came out and he made a good shot on him. That buck was bigger than any buck I had ever taken at that time and his biggest buck. I had and still have no regrets. We relive that hunt almost every time we meet or talk about hunting. It was special because I had two stands set up so we were both the for the experience and even though he did the shooting it was a trilling hunt.

I have taken him back to that same spot and he usually chooses to hunt that same area. The following year while he was hunting that stand I took a nice buck in another stand.

Bottom line I would shoot the deer if you get the chance.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 AM

As common courtesy I probably wouldnt.But heprobablyknew that he ran the risk of you killing this deer before he invited you. Just do what you feel is right.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 AM

Heck if he put you in his best stand I would feel like he wanted me to take that deer. But thats just me i would shoot it for sure. good luck with your decision.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact that you are struggling with this shows that you are being considerate.For me it would be a matter of how well I know the person.Are we very close and I know that what this person is telling me is sincere and that he would be genuinely happy for me,as I would be for him if the roles were reversed.Or is it a new freindship where the person is being polite and overly courteous?The first thing is that I wouldn't hunt his prime stand no way no how,secondly I would ask him to describe the buck to me and if I saw it and had an opportunity on it I would pass,then I would either not tell him I saw it or just tell him that you are very appreciative to be there and you didn't feel it was right to kill a buck he had been working for for as long as he had,that you valued his potential friendship more than killing that deer.That is what is called character in my opinion!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 PM

I really dont know what I would do if it was me.I would probably talk to the owner more and say for instance that bucks walks by.Should I shoot it or would you like him.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd drop him in a heart beat. That's what my friends are hunting for every hunt out and are encourage to take.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think I would ask the guy again before the fact

Quick Reply: The role of a guest on hunting land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.