Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead Problems >

Broadhead Problems

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Problems

Old 10-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Problems

Hello All,

I have a major concern that I need help with. Last night I did a true test and I determined that my accuracy problem is due to the broadheads. I am shooting the Muzzy 100 4 blade. The problem that I am having is that my groups really open up when I am shooting the Muzzy's. I did a test switching arrow shafts, field tips and the BHs. What I found is that it didn't matter which arrow shafts I was shooting. When I was shooting the field tips my goups are about 1.5-2" max. When shooting the BHs my groups are twice the size and I get the occaisional way off shot.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Some extra info:
Draw length is 28-28.5
Draw weight is 60lb
Arrows: Carbon Express Maxima 350 Carbon
Field Tips: 100 Grain Fancy tips that are supposed to mimic BH flight

Is this a spin problem? Does it have something to do with the 4 blade?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 AM

Default RE: Broadhead Problems

This may be a stupid question but are your broadhead blades and fleches lined up? I notice that when ever my heads spin a little I loose a little accuracy.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Broadheads DON"T NEED TO BE LINED UP WITH VANES!! and look, he is shooting the 4 blade muzzy, is he shooting arrows fletched with 4 vanes, IT DOESN'T matter if he is.
Sounds like ya might have a little bit of a form issue. If you're not gripping the bow exactly the same at every shot, or are you flinching(grabbing your bow)at the shot, and have you done a spin test with each and every arrow, with the broadheads installed? Could be a braodhead alignment issue!!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:00 AM

i had the same problem, even with my field tips...and i found out that it was a specific arrow...try to find out if it is the same arrow that's strayin' off around the target
Old 10-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far so good. Another thought. What type of fletching and orientation are they? If they are vanes it's possible that your arrow's FOC is a little light, which will let them wander. If the fletching is not helical or at least straight/offset you'll get the same indication. Are the broadheads aligned with the shaft (spin check)? They must be straight with the shaft, where field points do not, although they should be.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is the spin test?

I check to see if it is an arrow problem last night. It isn't the arrows. I am shooting fine with field points.

I did check with one errant shot and think I got it down to one arrow. I removed it from the bunch and it occured much less frequently and with much less extremeness. I am still about 4" at 20 yards with the BH and then I will have the occiasional one that is 6". I am worried because this is under the most ideal conditions. My back yard on a foam target.

I have 4" viens that are oreintated right helical.

Any other suggestions?

Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Broadheads are like a problem amplifier. A minor glitch in shooting form that will still yield good groups with field tips will make itself glaringly apparent when you screw on a broadhead. The reason is that the fletchings can easily correct an arrows flight with a field tip on the other end buta broadhead is like another little set of mini-vanes fighting against the fletching for control of the arrow. If your broadheads were consistently hitting high/low, or left/right of your field tips then you would obviously have a bow tuning issue. If your groups are just opening up in general I'm betting it's a shooting form issue.

The next time you shoot concentrate on consistently placing your hand on the grip the exact same way each time. Do not torque or grab the bow. I shoot with an open handed grip and feel that it is the best way to insure that you do not torque/twist the bow or grab at it as the shot goes off. Remember that arrow is still on the string for a few milliseconds after you hit the release so I hold the pose so to speak until my arrow impacts the target.

Also not all fixed blade broadheads have the same flight characteristics. Some are far better and more forgiving than others. I would recomment trying some Wac'ems by Triton or Slick Tricks. I have fouind them to be two of the most forgiving fixed heads out there with both offering almost field tip accuracy.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:59 AM

Check your vane clearance. I was shooting good groups also with field tip and "some" broadheads shot wild. Even though I have a drop zone rest I was still getting some contact, not enough to affect the field tips but enough to affect the BH. If you have a drop away rest, try rotating your nocks.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to start shooting with an open hand to see if that helps.

What is the spin test?

Will switching to a mechanical fix all these problems?

Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the spin test?
A spin test is where you place an arrow with a broadhead on it onto a device that allows you to spin the arrow rapidly in place and observe the tipfor a wobble. A wobble which is easy to spot would be an indication of arrow/head misalignment. You would need a spin tester to do this. Do a search at cabelas and you will understand better when you see what one of these spin testers looks like.

Will switching to a mechanical fix all these problems?
IF your problem is one of shooting form and not a tuning issue then yes expandables are more forgiving accuracywise than most fixed blade heads. BUT there are other issues to address before going with an expandable. What is your Draw Length? What pound bow are you shooting? You need a little more power to blow an expandable through a deer than a fixed head. Especially if you try to use one of the really large diameter cuts. Unless you are generating about 60 lbs of kinetic energy from your bow set up then stay away from the large diameter expandables. A smaller cut like a Rocket Steelhead would be a wiser choice. I have found that the Steelhead penetrates almost like a fixed blade. Do a search and read some testimonials about them. The only problem I have seen with steelheads is that they won't work with Goldtip arrows too well.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.