Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise! >

Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Spike

Default Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

All,
My buddy and I are frustrated! We scouted our mountian all summer then layed off the mountian all of august to return and find awesome fresh deer rubs in Sept. The hard part is we do not know where the beds are and the fields are miles away at the bottom of the mountain. The doe'sseem to funnel down the center of the mountianto the fields. This funnel shows no sign of bucks. All doe's. Buck sign at the top western portion and doe's eastern protion.

Opening day we went to the top and sat in 2 sections of buckdestruction... really a great sight to see! Saw nothing... heard nothing. We are the only 2 who hunt that section. We wear scent blocker suits... rubber boots...ect. Took off Monday... went to same spot... my buddy jumped a buck that bedded under his tree. But throughout the day we saw nothing. On our way down the(at the bottom)mountian we saw 20-30 doe's. We have deciedeto lay off the woods for a couple of weeks cause it has been warm here in the VA Mountians.

Ionly saw on scrape near a couple of rubs. I am thinking that the bucks are still grouped together and are moving at night. Will the bucks leave their territory to get the does at the bottom?Shouldwe abandon the upper portion and sit on the Doe's orgo back in a couple weeks when it gets cooler?

Thanks Guys,
VA_Chucker
Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

If you scouted and chose those stand sites hunt them early. Around the rut, hunt the does. Where they are, the bucks will be.

The rutting activity will pick up more after it gets cooler. So wait til it gets cooler, and hunt the does.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:45 PM

It's really easy to screw things up this early, so be careful. Until I KNOW where the bucks are, I hunt the downwind edges until I hit paydirt. Good bucks are mostly nocturnal until the early rut, so you stand a much better chanceof educating them at this point than you do at killing one. Not saying it can't be done , but the odds are against you , so be careful!

HOWEVER, When November rolls around , it's a different story. Froman is right, concentrate on the does. Bucks will be cruising looking for receptive does, so hunt the downwind side of doe travel routes and bedding areas and feeding areas. And if you want a good buck, DON'T spook the does. That's your buck bait.

Also, remember that Halloween is when the monsters come out. Starting about that time , I would be rattling and calling. Again, be careful. Rattling is a do or die proposition...

From my experience, bucks tend to like high brushy benches, drainages, gaps or saddles, etc. They want to feel safe when they travel. Just make sure you can get to the area you hunt without spooking deer.

Remember, always play the wind, be cautious, and hunt hard. If you do all that , it's just a matter of time.

Good luck!!!!

- cap

Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 PM

I hunt Virginia as well and right now I'm pretty much focusing on doe meat for the freezer(and alittle bear meat too). Like others have said, most good bucks are moving at night this early. Dont educate them!! You can take plenty deer on a basic license, put some meat in the freezer!!

Also, I look for a "bench" running along the ridge about 50 to 100 yards down from the top. These never fail to make an awesome funnel! If your like me you've got acorns everywhere, so hunt the beds early and the doe sign during the rut.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:13 AM

also look for the saddles in the ridges...and edges, like thick laurel opening to hard woods....

I'm finding alot of these mountain deer like it thick...

Plus I've seen more bear sign this year, than ever... Hopefully come Sat. I'll see what's making it...

B.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Hopefully come Sat. I'll see what's making it...
I'm feelin ya on that one. I had a monster bruin walk right by me at around 25yards last Sat.. I he comes through there this Saturday he's had the lick!! I've alsoseen more bear sign this past year then I have ever seen in my life. Time to thin them out alittle. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

What a problem, to many good spots,GEE
Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Spike

I am going to go back in 2 weeks and try it again. Do you suggest getting in between the bucks beds and the Does? That seems like that would bethe best stand placement.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 2 weeks, no. The bucks won't be hot on the does for another 3 1/2 weeks in VA. Maybe earlier/later in SW VA where you are. Sorry I can't offer much more advice as to where to set up, most of my hunting is in Northern and Central VA.

One thing I can offer though, is to focus on the summer feeding spots. The deer will still be focusing on these for a couple more weeks, until the weather really changes. Set up between their bedding area and food source, play the wind right, andhunt according to that. In the A.M., expect them coming from the feeding area heading back to their bedding spots, and in the afternoon, theopposite holds true. Of course, it's NEVER as easy as it sounds...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Spike

Thanks,
I am hunting the north western part of the state. That is what I have observed as far as feeding patters of the Does. We plan ongetting in the middle of the feeding areas and the beds.

What type ofscents would you use? Buck urine? Or Doe urine? Nothing?
I have read that using Buck urine early at the right time can trigger aterritorial response in Bucks.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.