Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control is a waste of time in my opinion >

Scent control is a waste of time in my opinion

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control is a waste of time in my opinion

Old 10-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scent control is a waste of time in my opinion

How frustrating. I get up early, shower in scent free soap, dress in specially washed cloths that are stored in scent proof bags, walk to my stand and by the time I get 1/2 way up the tree, I am completely soaked in sweat. To the point of dripping sweat on the ground. I don't see the point of any type of scent control for those of us who live in the warmest climates (florida in my case). Bow season has been open for two weeks and i have not gotten in a stand w/o being soaked. I mostly try to play the wind, though it is frustrating given the amt of swirling that occurs. The wind seems to have a predominent direction, but certainly switches around frequently.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent control is a waste of time in my opinion

From my experience..and the way I see things...scent control isn't as important to folks like myself that hunt within a couple hundred yards of houses/farms. These deer are used to seeing humans..smelling them..etc. If I were to go hunting in upstate Wisconsin..or Canada..where deer rarely see humans...I'm sure scent control is very important.

I shower with my regular soap and shampoo..my Axe deoderant [8D]..and do nothing but spray my clothes down with Earth Scent when I arrive at my hunting land. RARELY a day goes by that at least onedeer does not pass within shooting distance of me.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM

I AGREE COMPLETELY! HERE IN FLA. AVG TEMP FOR ARCHERY SEASON IS 90DEG. SO UNLESS YOU DRIVE UP TO THE STAND IN THE A/C OF A VEHICLE YOUR GOING TO SWEAT. I DON'T PAY IT MUCH MIND I CARRY A BOTTLE OF SCENT KILLER AND SPRAY THE INSIDE OF MY HAT AND ARMPITS ONCE I'VE SETTLED AND COOLED A BIT. I HAVE NEVER TO MY KNOWLEDGE HAD A DEER BUST ME BY SCENT. FORGET SCENT JUST HUNT!!!![8D]
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea the best you boy's can do is use alot of cover scent. When you get to your stand load on the fox pea, hogg piss, or what ever is native to your area. Maybe that will help.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

well, i wish i could go so far as to say i have not been busted. unfortunately, i get busted all the time and it drives me nuts.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in NC and VA and the early bowseason temps can reach the 90's as well. I hunt in and around a lot of pine thickets and I use just a dab of pure gum turpentine on the bottom of my pants. I dip a q-tip in it and rub it on my pant legs near the bottom and it seems to work very well. Just don't use too much or put it too high on your body....you may fall out of the stand.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever think of layering? Maybe if you just wait till you get to the stand to put all of you camo on you'd be a little cooler. Try it out, see what happens, if it doesn't work I'd say just do the best you can by showering in scent free stuff, and doing the best you can.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ever think of layering?
Beat me to it. I would think those Treklite (sp?) pants that zip off into shorts would be quite useful in your area. You could throw the leggings intoa backpack and zip them on upon reaching your stand. Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

On those really hot days, I will go to my stand in shorts and a t-shirt.
Usally still get sweaty but, I take off the t-shirt once in stand and put it in a plastic bag inside my backpack. I then spray with Scent away and put on the scent-lok or blocker over top of my shorts. Doesn't take to long to get cooled down when your standing in a stand in just your shorts especially after you spray yourself. Just my $.02.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

other than feeding the mosquittos and horse flies, the shorts isn't a bad idea, though i can tell you, i wear very light, thin long sleeve tee shirts and pants that are not too thick. i'm not sure there are a lot of options when it is 90+ degrees. Using a leaner or something less demanding than a climbing stand helps, since they are easier to asend, but that doesn't always work.

Quick Reply: Scent control is a waste of time in my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.