Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trying to figure out what happened >

Trying to figure out what happened

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trying to figure out what happened

Old 10-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trying to figure out what happened

Guys I need some input from everyone's experience. Now let me start this off by saying I hate as much as the next hunter to hear stories about the deer that got shot that was never found. I wouldn't post this but I need some thoughts/theories on what happened. I also apologize for this being long winded.

Saturday afternoon we got in our stands and about 3:30 my buddy calls and says 'I just put a nice shot on a doe.' My Dad responds by saying 'I can see her walking up thru the brush with her tail out.' My buddy says, 'She was about 10 yards broadside when I took the shot. I can see her standing out there and see the hole in her side. It looks good, a little low but behind the shoulder' Finally the deer walks off and they think they hear her crash.

So we waited. About 30 minutes later he gets down and finds the arrow sticking straight up in the ground and radios, 'this is really odd. I found my arrow and it is completely dry. yet I've got blood everyone. If I didn't see the arrow, I would have said I missed her.' So we waited and joined him about 30 minutes later.

The blood was all over for about the first 50 yards. dark red in color. Not pink like a lung and not bright red like a heart shot. when I say all over, there were sprays of blood, entire leaves covered and areas about a foot in diamater with blood.

After 50 yards, we were down to drops of blood every so often. We crawled and searched the rest of the evening. Never finding another drop of blood. Never find a place where the deer bedded down. Nothing, she just dissappeared. We walked the field, headed for the water source that we knew of and looked everywhere.

Now back to the arrow. It was completely clean except for 1 white hair. the broadhead and first 2-3 inches of shaft were covered in dirt. Nothing on the shaft or the fletching. It wasn't sticky or wet and had no odor to it. Yet my buddy was sure he could see a hole in that deer.

Now here are some other strange events. I was about 100 yards downhill in an orchard from him and had a guy walking around (no camo and didn't look like he was hunting.) banging limbs, looking around lifting branches up etc. When we were getting ready to meet my buddy, I heard some voices which sounded like 'let's go' and then a truck start up. The truck then drove down the road between us and was gone. This truck was somewhere in the field to my left andis about 30 yards from the last drops of blood we found. On the other side of the field was a small creek.

So I am trying to figure out what happened. I've got 3 theories on this.

1. Because the angle was so high, he was up about 16-17 feet and the deer was around 10 yards, maybe he just grazed the skin under or on the side of the deer.

2. The deer was shot before it got to him and he missed. I never thought of this until this morning. We never looked where the deer came from only after the shot. This would also explain the guy wandering around by my stand.

3. He did in fact hit the deer and the guys who left ina hurry in the truck found it and tossed it in the back and left. I never thought about this one until I was replaying the events in my mind and remembered hearing a voice say 'let's go' or something to that affect.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Trying to figure out what happened

Makes sense that the other guy may have shot her. Only because you say he was walking around behind your stand and the deer didnt run off when you shot. If the deer had already been hit, it may have been in shock from the first arrow. Did you ever find the deer?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

What type of BroadHead was he using Fixed or Expandable?
About 7 years ago I though I drilled this doe, she was right below me. I saw the arrow go in right behind her shoulder next to the spine. Deer went down hit the tree hard, I thought I spined her. She got up ran off 30 yds and walked away. Same type of blood trail you had. Only difference was my arrow was bent(alum in those days) and had a lot of fat on it. My best guess is I shot to close to the should and the arrow bounced off the shoulder then out the same side.
It happens and it sucks
Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

very interesting to say the least. Go back to see if there was any other blood trails before he hit it. If so i'd have to say that it was the other people you saw and they found her.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe he shots thuderhead 100's. My Dad is hunting the spot tonight and is going to check to see if there was a trail before she comes to his stand.

I wish I had the camera with me to take pictures of what we saw. Has anyone ever grazed teh side of an animal before and how much blood would you expect to see?

Honestly, when I first saw the blood, my Dad said to him, 'come on, let's go get your deer.' I was sure she was just over the hill.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your friend was shooting at a wounded deer. If an arrow goes thru the side of a deer it isn't clean with one hair. Only thing that puzzels me is why didn't someone trailing that deer walk by following the blood trail.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

My grampa help me track mind deer and remeber when we started he said this will not take long. The further we went the less blood we fond. Were I shot her it look good.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:10 PM

I'm guessing you shot and missed a deer that had been previously shot.....perhaps by those other guys. Your arrow probably picked up a hair dropped by the wounded deer when shot at.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: legacy22

I'm guessing you shot and missed a deer that had been previously shot.....perhaps by those other guys. Your arrow probably picked up a hair dropped by the wounded deer when shot at.
That seems to make the most sense to me. Check to see if there is a blood trail before the deer was shot, that will tell you if it had been hit before.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you try to backtrack the deer's travel prior to your stand? I would say that if it was shot by another hunter that the blood would preceed the deer's arrival to your stand. No?

As far as hitting a deer, seeing blood and having a clean arrow, I can sayI have seen it once. If your arrow hits far forward and low it can sometimes catch the breastbone at the brisket. The broadhead slits the hide but the blade rides along the breastbone and the shaft fails to enter, thus producing decent blood at first and a clean arrow shaft. The buck I saw shot this way recovered and was seen later in the season.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out what happened

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.