Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting from the Ground >

Bowhunting from the Ground

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting from the Ground

Old 10-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Bowhunting from the Ground

any pointers or tips on hunting behind a ground blind?

Thanks
Kurt
Old 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunting from the Ground

Try to brush the ground blind in as much as possible. This makes it appear much more natural to deer. Try placing it directly under an overhanging branch...for example.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:32 PM

i agree, use as much natural cover as possible, and be as still as possible. i've shot many deer from the ground with a rifle and a few with a bow, many more passed within 20 yards of me. location and blending in is the key. undergrowth is great to cover up to your knee leveland low hanging branches just above head level are great too.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:36 PM

I have a HS blind that comes up to 27" once stacked in. Should I keep a tree to my back or leave brush to my back?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go fora thick brush behind you if it were my choice. I think the brush will do a better job at breaking up your outline. It probably goes without saying but don't forget to setup to play the wind and practice good scent control.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 PM

I always bowhunt from the ground. I've never used a blind before. I usually just stand by a tree and am usually in the open. I've shot a deer like this every season. One day I had 3 bucks and 9 doe feeding less than 30 yards from where I was and they didn't even know I was there. Just goes to show you that you don't need to waste money on a man-made blind.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:35 PM

I second the background thing. Cover in front of you is very important, but i think back cover is even more. You could have all the cover in the world in front of you, but if you have a light color or an open area behind you, they will pick up any movement at all.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have not tried this bowhunting yet, but it works great when ground hunting with a rifle. Instead of carrying a blind around with me, I bought myself a set of leafy camo a couple of years ago, with a hood/facemask and covers for my hands. Basically I wear my blind. Works great. I sit down or stand near some brush and have had deer walk right by never knowing I was there. With a bow, though, you'll have to move a lot to draw, so a barrier blind might be better for you.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I am with PSEarcher149

I hunt from the ground all most totaly,with no blind.There has been many many time I layed in grass for hours to get a shot.This year I kill my 6x6 bull in wide open grass no trees at all.I just layed down and waited.If I need to move I crall.

I think it is better to learn to use the ground given to you.Than it is to pack a blind around.Hills and diches are the way to go.

3 years ago there way 12 to 15 guys looking at a big heard of elk out in the open.I pulled up after my morning hunt.I ask them why no one went after the elk. They all sayed how are you going to kill an elk in open feild like that? I than stated watch and see :} I cralled well over 1800 yards .I had to go all the way around them so wind was good. I got where I was with in about 100 yards than just layed there.In the next hour the hole bunch came all around me.They did wind me but did not have a clue where or why they could smell me.After about half of the elk went by a 5x5 bull crossed that 20 yard line. I set up and shot him at 22 yards.The owner of the land stated I was the only man in many many years that has done that.
It is all time, move slow use the samt color as seroundings.NOT JUST CAMO.Camo is good but only if it fits the colors around you.Carhart brown is the best I have found in grass.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. But suddenly (or even slowly)sitting up on a cagey eastern whitetail and you'll be shooting at white flags at 50 yards. I've shot a deer from the ground and even successfully stalked from tree to tree and shot a turkey with a bow but the problem I've found is you often get busted by the deer you don't want to shoot who refuses to leave until it's spotted you and is snorting all the way.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting from the Ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.