Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ALMOST

Old 10-02-2005, 06:33 PM

Default ALMOST

Well i was in the Double Bull at about 3 pm this afternoon, and at about 3:30 5 does and 7 fawns come down the trail. I just sat there and watched them, they were feeding about 20 yards away from me. All of the sudden they all look up the hill and there was about a 120" 8 pt. standing there im like oh great. He walked down to 15 yards and I didn't shoot. I cant burn up the buck tag on the second day of the season, unless its a realbiggun. I had fun anyways saw lots of deer. I just cant shoot a doe with fawns. Does anyone else have that problem? You know a doe comes in with a cuple of fawns and she is a big doe but you just cant do that with the little ones there. lol Im a big baby i guess. I dont know why though.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ALMOST

If I have a doe tag and a big fat doe is in range and I feel like butchering a deer I'll take it. Shooting a doe with fawns doesn't bother me.

Way to let the 120" buck walk he won't ever get big if you take him now!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

120 would be REAL hard to let walk.. especially around here when bout all i hear of being killed is 4pts and 3pts...
Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll take a doe with fawns! In a couple of weeks she'll be chasing them off so as long as they don't have spots, I take the shot! Well done letting the buck walk!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on using your self restraint. I know I couldn't have done it...on the buck or the doe.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM

I've heard that even when they are young, another doe or the herd will adopt the fawns and take care of them. Good luck with a bigger buck later in the season.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:59 PM

I had a fawn walk circles around me saturday evening for I swear at least 1hr and a half . I had hit the bleat can and she came up my trail she never left about a 30yed perimeter . she was as close as about 5to 8 yrds . Looked right at me a few times while she was chewin up some leaves . I almost found myself talking to her she was there for so long . Then on the other hand i wanted her to leave cause i new if a buck walked passed shed bust me for sure ! Thats when you know your absolutely scent free boy when you have a deer that close for that long . Plus i was only about 10 up in a ladder stand that evening . But I couldnt shoot her . Let live a little no big deal .

I found out later a nieghbor had shoot the button buck and his son shot the momma that morning . I think im gonna have to teach them a little bit about QDM . LOL
Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 AM

Yea i dont know why it is so hard for me to shoot a doe with fawns but, i dont care i will just wait untill the does leave the fawns. This was the first time for me hunting deer out of the double bull, and let me tell you, ifyou brush the bind in really goood you get some deer really close.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job and way to stick to your convictions. If you don't want to shoot a doe with fawns than good for you. Do what is right for you. Good luck this year.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem shooting a doe with fawns. A fawn can live independently once its spots are gone. No need to worry about that. Another thing to think about a doe with a button buck, will chase that button away once it gets alittle older. If you take out the doe, studies have shown that the button will probably live in the general vicinity, giving you an opportunity to hunt him a few years later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.