Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
best light source for night tracking >

best light source for night tracking

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best light source for night tracking

Old 10-02-2002, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default best light source for night tracking

Seeing as each year, we here stories about tracking blood trails in the dark. I've done this a couple times myself, both elk and deer, and thought that I would see if anyone has found the best source of light for tracking at night. I have found that the old latterns fueled by white gas work incredibly well, nearly making the blood glow, and the old filament flashlights don't work worth a hoot. Has anyone tryed using the new l.e.d. flashlights? and how did they work? And what about a battery powered lattern that uses flourecent lights? Anyone tryed them yet?
Old 10-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best light source for night tracking

I'm with you, the best I have found are the Coleman lanterns. I usually take one that uses the disposable propane bottles. They actually make an insert to put inside the glass to reflect the light toward the front of the lantern so it will shine in fron of you instead of all over you as well. It makes it even better because the light is not coming back into your face.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:32 PM

Mike from Texas hit on the head. Hard to beat coleman with aluminum paper. I have heard that if you can get battery blacklight like glowing flouresnt colors that blood glows same as flourescent.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Coleman has a new lantern out called the " Northstar" They have a propane model, and a liquid fuel. I bought the propane and stick it the truck with a small cylinder of propane. This lantern uses 1 large mantel and its incredible. After using it for 2 weeks in MT im looking to get me another one and get rid of my other fuel ones. They advertise this as their brightest model and it is.

If you guys have time check this one out.

Old 10-02-2002, 06:37 PM

I've used the colemans and like them,but most of the time a good mag light . i like them because it tends to keep me looking in a small area and not trying to see the"big picture" sometimes i like tracking more than the hunt,and always offer to help anyone,anytime to help track.oh i've tried peroxide with good results too. good luck
Old 10-02-2002, 08:19 PM
AK

A handheld spotlight lights up the ground like high noon and gives almost 1/2 hour of light before the battery needs to be recharged. Great for sparse blood trails. Next to that, I like a regular lantern battery flashlight. A Coleman lantern works fairly well, too. I've also tracked plenty of deer with just the dim light of a failing Mini-Mag.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:59 PM

Cant beat them coleman lanterns for tracking.The blood trail seems to illumninate better under a lantern.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!