Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 calling tips and techniques >

calling tips and techniques

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

calling tips and techniques

Old 10-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Default calling tips and techniques

well i made it out to the woods this evning,,and tried a fawn bleat,,,and had some does come in but never gave me a shoot,,after a while they took off so i did it agian and they came back,,,after they took off i got to thinking that this will not work after a few more week and i have no idea as to which type of call to use,,and allso a fawn bleat will more than likly not bring in a buck,,so i came here to ask for help with calling around the rut,during and after the rut,,,,such as what call to use and when and for how long,,,i have an 8in1 call that i got for walmart as well as "the Can" from primos,,,,,,,any help yall could provide will be very appriciated
Old 10-01-2005, 08:29 PM

Default RE: calling tips and techniques

As you get deeper into the rut make your grunts more aggressive. Deep pitched calls work good in the rut, 5-10 second sequences are your best bet. Otherwise in the pre-rut you can get away with just normal light huffs into the tube.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:12 PM

I have a primos can and i use it in combination with grunts during the rut . I have also called in buck using just the bleat can . It works trust me . That call is a social call .
Old 10-01-2005, 09:24 PM

That call is a social call
i have heard this before and was goin to ask that but forgot,,,,,,but what is a social call,,cani be used any time,,,also what are the other types of calls????
Old 10-01-2005, 10:37 PM

Hi Silverhawk.
Calling is very location and herd specific. And some things work for some and not forothers. So, here's what works for me.

Have not had luck with a fawn bleat except to attract a few does. Have never been able to bring an esrus doe with a buck in tow to a fawn bleat.

Most success for me in pre-rut is tickling heavy horns - solid mass 8 pointer and using somewhat relaxed grunts. This tickling can last from 2-5 minutes on and off with an occasional grunt.

I use a similar process during rut but much more aggressively - both with the horns and the grunts. The heavier the horns - the better.

I usually leaving calling until after the natural morning movement is over. Be prepared, the bucks will typically come in slow and downwind taking lots of time to look things over. Only had a couple come charing in like they all do on TV.

Anyway - hope that helps. Good luck in the field.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 PM

A social call is not gender specific as say a grunt call to attract bucks . A bleat is a common fawn or doe call that deer use to get the attention of other nearby deer . It doesnt say "hey im ready to breed" or "hey Im a buck and i'm invadeing your territory ". It just says " hey buddy Im over here , hows your day , wanta hang out " . LOL or somethin like that , you get the picture . Hope this helps . Like super said this is all herd area specific . I've called in deer useing the can , I've scared away deer using it . Same with rattleing . Just have to try it and see what works in your area . You cant learn if you dont try , and believe me there is alot more than you think to this huntin stuff . I learn every single time im out .
Old 10-02-2005, 12:25 AM

There was a web sire posted on here last year.You could listen to each deer call from a fawn bleat to a buck grunt.
Does anyone have the site?It was good practice,trying to make the same sounds with a deer call!
My computer crashed and I lost all my favorites.Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

I use calling sparingly especially early in the season like now when things are still fairly calm and there isn't all that much talking going on in the woods...at least where I hunt. Patience, scouting food sources, bedding areas, and transition corridors, stand placement, and hunting the wind are the most significant ingredients for success at this stage IMO. Keep in mind that trying to communicate to deer can cause more harm than good especially if you are after a veteran buck who has been around a while...he likely has absolutely no interest in a fawn bleating. Also remember that when a deer is responding to a call, they are on full alert with ALL of their senses as they attempt to discern the source of the call which can make it more difficult compared to having a deer within range that is completely unbeknownst as to your existence.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:11 AM

hey yall,,i thank you for all the help u provided,,,and i have another question for u,,on my call,,u can set it to reproduce a "doe grunt",,my question is where and when would u use this type of call,,and what does it "mean"
Old 10-02-2005, 04:15 AM

Heres a decent article on some pre-rut calling .

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/deercalling.php

Quick Reply: calling tips and techniques

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.