Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

decoys

Old 10-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Spike

Default decoys

I'm thinking about giving a decoy a try.Was wondering has any of you tried one.If so was it a doe or a buck? Did you spray any scent onto it, and what kind And which one would you recommend.Thanks for your time.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: decoys

The past two seasons I used a decoy 4 trips each season. Of those 8 trips...I have 3 of the most memorable hunts I've had in about 24 years of bowhunting.(absolutely wild) A couple notes I've learned.....use the most realistic decoy you can get. I know guys who've used there 3-D targets and had more scared deer than anything. Don't over use it...if you use it everytime out ....the deer will figure it out. Its now a vital tool in my arsenal! Usually I see deer on 50% of my hunts....1 out of 3 trips I get a shot opportunity. On the 8hunts with the decoy.....saw deer on 7 hunts.....had 16 differant deer I could have shot with-in 20 yards. I had one buck"mount" the decoy(got it on video) Had another monster buck walk around the decoy sniffing for 3 or 4 minutes and thenPLANT its 14 point rack into the side of the decoy and fling it 20 feet! This all happened within 15 yards of my stand. The thing is a magnet... of those 16 deer I could have while using the decoy, 10 or 12 were on trails where I wouldn't have ever gotten a shot opportunity.....They see that thing 40 to 60 yards away and turn and come in directly to it!

Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:19 PM

What type of area were you hunting ? Field edges , woods ? You got me thinkin ! LOL
Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

One spot is on a food plot, Another is in an intersection of a couple fourwheeler trails in the woods, and the last is in the corner of a corn field(unpicked). The common thing with all these spots is that thedeer haveseveral trials in the area that at some point along those trails they have a good view of the spot I set the decoy up, anywhere from 30 to 80 yards, some more some less.

Good Luck!