Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How Important are sharp broadheads...(DUHH) >

How Important are sharp broadheads...(DUHH)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Important are sharp broadheads...(DUHH)

Old 09-30-2005, 04:03 PM

Default How Important are sharp broadheads...(DUHH)

Well, hear i am sharpening broadheads the day before season starts. Why you ask, becasue my hunting partner did not think that it was "that important" to have sharp broadheads. So i am going to give him some mine tommorrow morn. Lucky himwe shoot the same broadhead, brand and weight. So please post how imortant you think it isto haveSHARP BROADHEADSso I can show it to my buddy.

Thanks

Tim
Old 09-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Important are sharp broadheads...(DUHH)

sharper broadheads equal better penetration, more damage on the way through and better blood lose which equals quicker kill!!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:14 PM

Indians used to kill them with rocks??? But, I like to keep mine sharp just in case
Old 09-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Basswacker

Indians used to kill them with rocks??? But, I like to keep mine sharp just in case
And those rock edges were extremely sharp.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

A Properly knapped flint edge is incredibly sharp.......sharper than a surgeon's scalpel. I would think their problem was more a matter of weight tolerances and ferrule straightness than blade sharpness.

Blade sharpnessIS very important.....
Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullets kill by hydrolic shock. They kill by massive hemraging that is induced my magnum doses of KE. The massive shock makes the vitals "explode" and kill the game quickly.

Broadhead DO NOT kill by hydrolic shock, or magnum doses of KE. They kill by hemraging but not in the same way as bullets. The broadhead cuts through vessels, viens and arteries. This causes the blood to pour out and the game dies quickly by blood loss.
You NEED sharp broadheads so they will cut these life lines and make the game hemrage. If the blades are dull, the arteries will literally slide around the blades and not be cut. This will equal less blood for tracking and lost deer do to seemingly well hit deer not bleeding enough.
A good example of how this works is by running the blades over a rubber band. Sharp blades will easily cut through the band (artery) and cause blood loss. The dull blades however will just slide around the band (artery) and won't cut it...less blood loss.

A real life example is like a person being shot through the chest with a 20mm tank round. Massive shock. However a person will die just as fast if the main arteries in your thigh, or armpit are cut by a knife. The blood will pump out and kill the individual just as fast. Sharp Broadheads
--If the knife isn't sharp, it won't cut and the wound will be superficial.

**Sorry I know its rough, but I tried to get the main point across quickly so I can continue packing for tomorrow, but I feltI needed to express my opinion on this.**
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM

308 hunter is right on. Ditto
Old 09-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

You NEED sharp broadheads so they will cut these life lines and make the game hemrage. If the blades are dull, the arteries will literally slide around the blades and not be cut.
Perfectly stated.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 PM

Well, cut your finger with a dull knife, then a very sharp one. Find out which one bleeds more.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another very important effect of razor sharp blades is not only that they will penetrate better and cut arteries, but also that razor sharp blades, on a microscopic level, create a very clean straight cut through tissue, where a dull blade will create a jagged wound. This clean cut helps greatly slow the clotting response because the clotting agents in the blood(platelets)don't have anything to grab ahold of as they flow into the wound. This allows the blood to flow fasterand for a longer period of time before clotting significantly reduces bleeding, thus maximizingthe chances that the animal will bleed out. A dull blade that creates a jagged (microscopically) cut will allow for faster clotting and increase the distancea fatally wounded animal can run before their circulatory system shuts down from blood loss.It also greatlyincreases the chances that a marginally hit animal will not bleed out fatally andmay be lost due to a lack of a followable blood trail and might suffer a prolongeddeath due to infection and such.

Bottom line? Hunt with sharpbroadheads, as there is really no excuse not to.Most broadheadshave easily replaceable blades, and thecostof such blades arerelatively low.And ifone cannot replace the blades, then sharpening/lapping devices are cheap, reusable and readily available and it would be prudent for someone whocannot replace their bladesto learn tosharpen them.

Mike

Quick Reply: How Important are sharp broadheads...(DUHH)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.