Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wisconsin bowhunter killed by squirrel hunter while he was videotaping >

Wisconsin bowhunter killed by squirrel hunter while he was videotaping

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin bowhunter killed by squirrel hunter while he was videotaping

Old 09-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wisconsin bowhunter killed by squirrel hunter while he was videotaping

Really uncalled for ,but it happens more then you think.Several years ago a guy shot a turkey hunter 4 times before he realized it was not a turkey
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wisconsin bowhunter killed by squirrel hunter while he was videotaping

Be careful guys...this is sad.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:19 AM

Sad, very sad.. Always makes me nervous knowing that small game hunters might be running around shooting .22s at everything that moves while I am sitting up in a tree doing my best to not be seen..
Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 AM

By no way am I sticking up for the shooter. What he did was totaly wrong. But as I posted before the 22 shot in the air will travel a long distance. He was close enough to the hunter to hear him scream, but he may have been actually shooting at a real squirrel that was between the two men and missed the squirreland hit the bow hunter. Thats why imo you should never shoot at a squirrel in a tree with a rifle!!!!!! never!!!! Use a shotgun for tree shots. The shooter sounds like he is guiltyof negligence and homocide. Hope he spends many long years in jail!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:26 AM

This is exactly why I had to find different land to hunt this year. Last year a bunch of Hmongs found the land that I hunt and where shooting all over. the rest of the guys that hunt that land and I talked to them and told them where we were at (general area) and asked them to not shoot around there....well, it didn't matter to them. so I found different land and am done hunting there unless I have a gun with me too. It worked out for me as the new land I found is better and I have it all to my self. my prayers are with his family. Like Badatta2d said.....be careful out there.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a very wise analogy. Maybe it is time for a law change. Like you said if a person misses that bullet comes down about a mile later. Good point.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, please be safe guys. Carry and have handy some type of flo-orange just in case you need to wave it. My buddy came very very close to being shot by a turkey hunter two years ago. Gun pointed, safety off with my buddy yelling at the guy. And this was on private land!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 AM

Wow, that is absolutely terrible. How could you just carry on your day like nothing happened after that. [:@] That guy should be shot a few times with a .22, then thrown in prison.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guy I went to high school with was shot the same way. the 'hunter' took off. luckily he was hunting with a friend who basically saved his life and was able to identify the shooter and his vehicle.

I hunt some public land that has lots of goof balls shooting at everything that moves. I've thought about putting a blaze orange stripe around the tree below my stand. but mostly, i just hunt it during the week or I just stay out of the oaks where most of the 'squirrel hunters' go.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

This sad... It is dangerous out bowhunting with the squirrel hunters shooting everything thats moves. Opening morning we had 9 Hmong squirrel hunters come into the public land and it sounded like a war zone. They walked by me in army formation. One just sat down about 50 yards away from me, I yelled out to them and they just ignored me, or couldn't understand english. Bullets were flying. This was the first time I was actually scared to be hunting. I got down from my stand and moved on, sucked! The game warden got alot of complaints about the same group! On sunday they were leaving an area and I was packing up and they just put their rifles in their trunks without cases, highly illegal, and drove off. I warned the warden. He said he was well aware of the problem. No respect, and this was the day after the Vang trial!

Quick Reply: Wisconsin bowhunter killed by squirrel hunter while he was videotaping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.