Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weird Sound

Old 10-01-2002, 07:14 PM

Default Weird Sound

Hello,
I was climbing down the tree the other night , and as I was packing up my stand , I heard a strange hissing noise about 15 yards behind me. It was dark and I couldn't see what it was , but it liked to scare the heck out of me. Does anybody know what this may have been?
Thanks, RLhanson
Old 10-01-2002, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Weird Sound

Are you hunting near a pond? I dont know but I have had some geese hiss at me and it sounds really weird.

Leland Bunting
Old 10-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobcats can be awfully loud............make the hair on my neck stand up.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:26 PM

Gollum.....my precioussssss....
Old 10-02-2002, 08:08 AM

If it sounded too big to be a bobcat, then it's VERY possible it was a mountain lion... There are out there. I have 3-4 witnesess here in Kansas with pictures... I had an encountered with one of them at night while tracking a doe... Needless to say, after he let out that blood curling scream, I simply walked out of the woods, and came back the next morning when it was light out! Of course, the Kansas Wildlife Department refuses to acknoledge they're out there...
Same stories in MO, etc...

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hello,
I was climbing down the tree the other night , and as I was packing up my stand , I heard a strange hissing noise about 15 yards behind me. It was dark and I couldn't see what it was , but it liked to scare the heck out of me. Does anybody know what this may have been?
Thanks, RLhanson
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 10-02-2002, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
If it sounded too big to be a bobcat, then it's VERY possible it was a mountain lion... There are out there. I have 3-4 witnesess here in Kansas with pictures... I had an encountered with one of them at night while tracking a doe... Needless to say, after he let out that blood curling scream, I simply walked out of the woods, and came back the next morning when it was light out! Of course, the Kansas Wildlife Department refuses to acknoledge they're out there...
Same stories in MO, etc...<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

If it let out a scream similar to a woman or chilkd screaming, what you heard was more than likely a panther. A mountain lion has more of a growl/snarl, but a panther scream will definitely raise the hair on your neck.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hello,
Thanks, RLhanson
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Sounds like to me it was a possum, They hiss and carry on when you startle them.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:40 PM

Sounds to me like casper.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:29 PM

Mike,
we have a pretty healthy population of mountain lions here Calif. and the ones I've heard sound like a woman screaming.
Raccoon's make a hissing noise when they are po'ed and is most likely what was there.