Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 does warm wx mean tainted meat? >

does warm wx mean tainted meat?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does warm wx mean tainted meat?

Old 09-30-2005, 08:02 AM

Default does warm wx mean tainted meat?

Hi everyone. I'm going out for the first time this weekend and am pretty excited about it. The forecast is calling for warm weather though, high's in the 70's, close to 80...warm for northern Minnesota!). I'm wondering, and thought you all might have some input on this, if I do arrow a deer this weekend and if I do wait 4 hours orso before setting out to find the critter, do I have to worry about the meat going bad before I can get it cooled down?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: does warm wx mean tainted meat?

With the weather that warm you should not let your animal set that long. Meat will start to go bad within the first hour or so. Try to get him out as soon as possible.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:07 AM

No way! I hunt in Florida, during the beginning of bow season the highs are 90+ and the nighttime lows are 75. I have/would eat 4 hour old dear no problem. Finding one the next a.m. after a evening hunt, though, is not an option.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do happen to arrow one, notice where you hit, which you should do anyway. If it is a good shot and you know it dropped, give it 20minutes and then get out of the stand, and go look for it.If you think it was a questionable shot, give it some time, butIMO i wouldnt wait 4 hours to get thedeer. Its notworth the risk.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:21 AM

I live in NC where it doesn't get much cooler than that until late October. 4 hours won't hurt the deer! Now I would have resevations about leaving it over night though. Unless the deer is gutshot you should have no problems.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Yeah, I would certainly not waitthat longto start looking, unless it was a confirmed gut shot, then I would wait 2 hours, and keep in mind signs as to whether I am pushing the deer, like a pool of blood. Of course, if you are waiting four hours for the deer to expire, then, the time for spoilage is diminished by the length of time he's still alive.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

That problem is the main reason I usually skip the first week or two of our season. I would rather hunt when it is cooler, and in my experience, they move only very early or very late when it is that warm.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 PM

Okay, here I am in Fl...90's in the daytime.
I arrow a deer and for what it's worth I get to it in about an hour...field dress it and get it to the truck. How long do I have before processing it? There are no butchers or processors around here, and no one willing to let me hang a deer intheir reefer to cool off. My only option is to drive the hour and a half home and skin/process there...is this feasible?
I was thinking of stopping to get some ice bags to put in the cavity, however, it will still be some time before the meat is cut. Do you recommend a quick quartering and refridgerate it to cool and cut/pack/freeze a couple o hours later?
I was also thinking of skinning the deer in the field and wrapping it in an old sheet or something to quicken the cooling effect since the skin/fur holds heat in...anyone else try this?
Thanks
Tim
Old 09-30-2005, 04:25 PM

the problem is after your shot if it is good it is the time after the deer dies till spoilage... i hunt texas for hogs mostly when it is hot gut it as soon as possible thenif you have coolers skin and quarter it up and ice it down this will prvent spoilage also there is a spray you can wet down your meat with that stops /slows down spoilage... its sold in wal-mart or you can pick it up from here:

http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/gamesaver.htm

it's like 3.00 plus shipping
Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Everybody relax , You will have ample time to get your deer home and process it . What i do is after i Gut it and throw it in the truck . On your way home stop at a covienent store by a coule bags of ice and throw'em inside the body cavity . I truely believe the only worry anyone should have is if the deer has to be left overnight . I mean hasn't anyone left a pck of steaks out on the counter for more than 4 hours by accident . Lets be realistic here .

Quick Reply: does warm wx mean tainted meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.