Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you take the shot? >

Do you take the shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, take the shot
87.50%
No, don't take the shot
10.00%
Depends on what I had for breakfast
2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Do you take the shot?

Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you take the shot?

OK here is the situation:

You are bowhunting post rut along a grassy creek bed in an otherwise flat harvested bean field. The grass is brown, dry, and about a 1 1/2 feet tall and there are scattered bushes. The wind is 10mph west to east. It is 2 hours to sunset.

You arrived early to set up before the peak hour before sunset knowing you would make a lot of noise in the dead grass on your way in. You sit down next to a bush line to catch your breath. You begin digging in your pack for your calls/scents/or whatever else you may have that you need at the moment - when you get the funny feeling you are being stared at.

You raise your head to see a 4 1/2 year old 16pt staring at you from 10 feet away. A quick glance reveals your bow is on the ground 3 feet out of your reach, right where you left itdumb@ss.

Just then the old timerbolts back the way he came (to the west) and is out of sight behind the bush line before you can get on your feet and grab your bow.

You take 4 long strides and are quickly at an opening... where you see....

The buck is 25 yards away, standing ingrass tall enough to hide his belly. He is quartering away and staring back at you. You haveyoursight pinset on his sweet spotand you are at full draw without realizing it.

So, he's nerveous but presenting an otherwise outstanding shot.... Do you take the shot?

I didn't [&o]
Old 09-28-2005, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Do you take the shot?

Misses and bad shots will always happen as long as we hunt. But, you cannot kill a deer without shooting at them.

I would take the shot and not think twice about it.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a fast bow, and a steady aim- that should be a dead buck.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Already drawn, steady on him? I don't know if my brain could override my trigger finger even if I wanted it to. I would aim a shade low though.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't feel bad. Years ago I had a monster 10 point, 160 class, ten yards away from me. I was at full draw but the darn deer was at a slight angle presenting his right front shoulder blade. If he was head on I would have shot him had he been a little more sideways I would have shot him. I didn't like the shot and passed on it because I didn't like the idea of wounding him. Had it been any other deer I would have taken my chances.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take the shot and not think twice about it. A 16 point buck is one that doesnt come along all that often and like it was said before, bad shots happen in bow hunting, but with todays lightning fast bows, i think at 25 yards and aiming alittle low, you will have to find a spot on your wall for a new trophy.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM

I'm not sure what else you would want, him to be sleeping? I wouldn't hesitate at that distance no matter how alert he was, aim a little low and start notching your tag.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:20 PM

I think I would have probably released the arrow before I thought about whether or not I should. Sorry for the lack of thought, but I don't see 16 pointers all that much.

ORIGINAL: DubsOnD

I'm not sure what else you would want, him to be sleeping?
LOL......I would take the shot. next time keep your bow closer
Giant Nontypical

I don't knock anyones reply..try it and good luck!

I, however, have shot at alert and nervous deer and will not take that shot again.

But that's me and my personal belief.

Quick Reply: Do you take the shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.