Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Drawing on an alert Doe >

Drawing on an alert Doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drawing on an alert Doe

Old 09-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Drawing on an alert Doe

It's possible, just not very likely you'd have gotten a shot off.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You did what I would have done. Where I hunt you move you lose!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:18 PM

I have been successful in the past on drawing while the deer was at full alert. All though it was pre-rut and a very curious young buck . Ya never know...

Tim
Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Young buck, possibly. Someone once said they're the dumbest deer in the woods, and I concur. A mature doe who's already got you pegged? I think Pabowhntr said it best: Not a chance in heck!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 PM

I'm a big believer that most animals, especially deer and turkey see by watching for movement more than shapes, outlines, or colors. If a deer looks up and sees a blob in a tree, he or she may stare a while to evaluate the blob and whether or not it belongsthere. If the blob moves... in the deers mind something is wrong and its "see you later" time.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Will sometimes even when they are looking at you if you draw in slow motion you can still get a shot.It works alot better getting your gun into position than bowhunting,but I have done it before.Failed more than not,but sometimes it's worth a try.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't disagree with any one's take on this because it is coming from your own personal experiences.I do believe you can kill animals that don't know what you are,and have settled down after you have stayed still for a period of time.Deer will accept movement if it is done very slowly.I have killed one buck with a rifle that had me pegged and foot stomped repeatedly and blew repeatedly but he didn't know what I was,he was trying to get me to move.He was a 21/2 year old eight point.I raised my rifle slowly over a period of about a minute and shot him.Some times deer do things that defy logic.You have to feel out the situation to assess what may be possible.What the gentleman asked initially is whether we thought it would be possible to draw on these deer not whether it would be advisable.Every situation is different.More than likely I wouldn't have drawn on those deer unless they settled down and were milling around the area again at ease.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:53 AM

Interesting follow-on comments since my last post here.

I have had other deer stomp and blow, but not take off. I will have to re-evaluate the next occurance of this happening. If a doe stomps and then settles back down, I think that I will try to engage her. Slowly. Although no movement is the safest, and preserves the hunting spot for next time; I could starve to death if I don't take action.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 AM

Look at it this way. If you had drawn and been spotted, they would have blown and alerted every deer within hearing distance.Versus not drawing, letting them walk off quietly and maybe having another deer meander by.
IMO you did the right thing.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer would've "locked on" to you as soon as you started to draw. I had a giant, completely calm and unaware buck broadside to me this morning less than 15 yards distant with no obstructions. Even though he didn't know I was there, I couldn't risk drawing because he would've instantly spotted the movement. One that already suspects something is twice as likely to spot it.

Quick Reply: Drawing on an alert Doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.