HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   licking branch question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/114489-licking-branch-question.html)

Finch 09-27-2005 11:10 AM

licking branch question

I plan on going out in a couple hours to do more scouting since I've had no luck on finding much sign. Season is only a few days away. I plan on making a mock scrape. I get the idea but I'm not too sure about the whole licking branch thing. I bought the active scrape scent and will pour it on the ground but Im not going to put any kind of scent on the licking branch. My question is, will this be ok for a mock scrape?

Germ 09-27-2005 11:22 AM

RE: licking branch question

I do not know the area you are hunting, but putting a mock scrapes this time of year will only attract first year bucks(1 1/2 year olds). I did a youth this weekend and the young bucks are active. I have used scrape magic later in the season and have taken a nice 8 point. Most of the time I get younger bucks. I have never put anything on the licking branch, I just break it(with scent-lok gloves on).
Do you have a lot of acorns this Year in your area? My feet hurt after walking on them for our youth hunt!! My kid had a shot and missed, but we had two other great chances at bucks. My suggestion is hunt were the acorns are if you have them.

Bees 09-27-2005 11:24 AM

yea it should be, the licking stick is usually a bare stick near the scrape that a deer will lick, over hanging branches above the scrape is where a deer will rub his head they have glands on thier head somewhere and they leave a scent on those branches.
I just put scent anywhere up there, don't know if makes any differance or not.

if there aren't any deer in the area don't expect a mock scrape to drag them into the area cause it probabely won't.
if there are some deer in the area they will usually hit the mock scrape at night for awhile, then after a few real deer have been there you might see some daytime activity. oh and as noted in the above post mostly young deer..

Finch 09-27-2005 11:32 AM

I could not find many acorns last week when I went. The creek was also dried up where I saw numerous scrapes last year. Today Im gonna try and find more acorns. So what should I do about the scrape to draw in a big boy? Ive never mocked scraped before and was wanting to try it but I want it to bring me the best results. Thanks

HuntmDown 09-27-2005 05:08 PM

The overhanging branch should be treated with pre-orbital gland scent like Jackie's Licking Branch Scent, which is a natural product, or Hawg's Limited FGland scent, which is a synthetic. The more accurate the scents are on your mock scrape the better. Put enough of the lure in the nooks and crannys of the branch so the first buck that comes along doesn't wipe it all off.