Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to control buck fever >

How to control buck fever

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to control buck fever

Old 09-27-2005, 07:48 AM

Default RE: How to control buck fever

ORIGINAL: Trapper_Hunter

Cant... ANd hope i never will... Takes the fun out of it
Exactly, why would you want to control it. Its one of the most awesome feelings in the world. That's one of the main reasons I love to hunt so much.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:00 AM

I want to control it so I can make a good shot and not miss so often. I love the feelingbut it sometimes gets out of hand. Example, I had a deer walk up broadside to my stand at about 30 yards. My leg was shaking so bad that my tree stand started rattling. It is funny to think about it now but I couldn't get a comfortable shot off. I want to make sure I harvest the animal rather than just wound it.

Thank for all the advice guys. Looking forward to opening day on Saturday. I got the Black Crowes concert on Thursday and Friday and than hunting on Saturday. You can't beat rock n' roll and than some good hunting.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:28 AM

This may sound corny but I've found being in the best cardiovascular shape I can be in during hunting season helps with buckfever. The reason being that your heart and lungs are better able to handle the increase in heartrate and respirations.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 AM

I believe if you are concentrating hard enough on picking a spot, the rest will take care of itself..... IMO, buck fever, target panic, and the like all start with lack of concentration and lack of confidence.... Killing deer will give you the confidence...... Concentration is up to you.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Breath Grasshopper.... breath deeply. Seriously, if you find yourself getting the shakes, just close your eyes and take a couple deep slow breaths and let them out gently. I know people say don't look at the horns and all that, but hey, I'm watching the deers head to see what he's doing and where he's looking. Horns..no horns... it doesn't matter. When I start to tune in for the shot I just pick a spot, pick a spot, pick a ripple or crease or something I want to hit. If the deer hangs up or gets nervous you just have to breath some more, close the eyes and will the bugger to do what you want. As the deer approaches you should be working over in your mind, where he's going, when will I draw, where will I shoot and be ready for 2 or 3 changes of direction. CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK FOR OTHER DEER as he comes in. You don't want to do everything right and then blow it because you weren't aware of some 60 pound weakling under your tree. Draw when it's time and settle in. Right about the time I would take a shot at home on a target I ask myself, "Is this the picture I want to see??? Double check the sight picture, verify it's what I want and the shot seems to happen the second time through". I have every confidence when I let it go my arrows are shooting great and it's a dead deer. After the shot when he runs away you got to watch him go, left of this bush, right of that tree, over the log, beside this tree. Mark his progress and double burn in your memory where you last saw him. As you decend the tree, keep that spot in you view if you can. Keep looking at it because it'll change when you touch turf. Then go get your deer.... he's dead, Remember??
Old 09-27-2005, 09:19 AM

" STAY CALM , PICK A SPOT" I have a sticker on the back of my quiver that says that. I look at it every time I practice and it helps tremendouslywhen in the woods as well.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 AM

OHhhhh man do i know buck/doe fever lol...This is my 3rd year hunting, and i get so freakin excited.I am like the other guy..Once while in my climbing stand i had a 6 point 20yrds or less broadsided, I had my quiver tied on a string hanging from my stand, i shook so baddddd that the stand was shaking and made the arrows rattle against it.......well yep he busted me and ran off.That was my first year, ive been lucky enuff to harvest 5 does each year since, and a couple bucks, so i have learned to calm down a bit more, but not much! lol
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM

try bending slightly at the knees...sorta like a semi squat....that should help the shaking enough to get a shot off....or atleast keep your arrow on the rest..

then once they run off, you can continue the adrenilne rush...

B.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 AM

I presented this same question to a co-worker of mine and he gave some pretty good advice. I know this sounds stupid but it really helped me last year. What he said to do was when you see the animal coming and the anticipation is starting to build, calm down and count down from some number by an irregular count. Like count down from 50 by 7's. It makes you think taking of something else which helps to calm your nerves. Like I said,I know it sounds stupid but it really didhelped me to calm down and focus on the shot.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 PM

Guess I can't help with this question as I seem to focus much better when the time comes to shoot. Now if you were talking about the golfing yips.........

Quick Reply: How to control buck fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.