Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stand height....crucial? >

Stand height....crucial?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand height....crucial?

Old 09-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand height....crucial?

ORIGINAL: KickerPoint79

Most of my stands are only 12-14 feet and it works for me.
I agree height will get you out of there vision better but
I get a little shaky way up there. So i learned to use my camo
and brush around my stands to hide in. Its all about placement
and cover.
yeah same here. even with safety harnesses i still don't like getting up above 20 ft. it's just not for me and isn't really fesible of practicle where i hunt.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:44 PM

I believe in going higher. I get my climber at least 20 feet high, usually around 25 and sometimes 28. I have markers on my hoist rope so I know how high I am. I do have 2 ladder stands that are 15 feet and one that is 20 feet. While sitting in the 15 footers, I usually have deer look at me. As far as being silhouetted, pick a tree where that doesn't happen. I have used trees were I didn't have as much cover as I would have liked but the deer don't look that high. I feel that in my area, there is so much hunting pressure that the deer normally look up 12-15 feet high.
As far as getting the heebie jeebies that high, you get used to it. Just make sure your harness is tight. I have mine set so that while sitting, if I lean forward, it pulls on my harness.

Here is a shameless plug. Since I have been using my ASAT 3D leafy suit, I have not been busted. This thing is great. If you have to stay low, I recommend getting one.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Rather than drop down to the lower height, why don't you try and do something to break up your silouette. I'm all the time tying tree limbs up, down, pulling small trees over and tying them off to give me cover. I carry a hook I can tie on my haul line and lasso nearby things to pull them in and tie them off.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:15 AM

I only hunt about 10-15ft off the ground no matter where im at , there are many ways to eliminate scent so i would say worry more about your sillohette .
Old 09-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to think that height really made a difference untill last year. I was begining my asscend in my climber when I heard something walking down the access road I was on. so I stoped climbing pulled my bow up and knocked an arrow when here come two of the biggest bodied deer I have seen in a long time. 1 was a spike and the other was a 7 pointer. Being only 7-8 feet in the tree I thought for sureI was busted. Nope ended up taking the smaller racked 7 pointer. Dressed out at 215lbs. The spike walked right by me and looked right at me and kept walking, and the 7 pointer went to the corn, looked at me several times, stepped behind a big oak, I drew, waited, he stepped out and WACK!!!!! ran about 25-30 yards and dropped. SoI really dont think that height makes that much of a difference. It does help conceal you and carries your scent away from youfurther, but as long as you can make the deer not feel threatend I think theyd walk by you at 2 feet.