Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing Sticks Vs. Screw in steps >

Climbing Sticks Vs. Screw in steps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Sticks Vs. Screw in steps

Old 09-16-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Climbing Sticks Vs. Screw in steps

I am thinking about using climbing sticks this year instead of screw in steps. Do any of you have thoughts about the pros and cons of this?

I am concerned that carrying the climbing sticks, stand and bow may be too cumbersome. I have the Lone Wolf Hang on stand, and am thinking about buying the Lone Wolf climbing sticks.

I have always used screw in steps but was thinking the sticks would be quicker and easier, just not sure if the weight and the addition of carrying them in is worth the effort at the tree. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S.- October 1st is almost here, can't sleep already
Old 09-16-2005, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Climbing Sticks Vs. Screw in steps

I've used both and have killed deer with both. The steps are easier to carry but take longer to get set up. The only advice I would tell you is if the climbing sticks come with rope, replace it with ratchet straps. As you go up the tree it is very hard to hold on to the tree and secure a rope tight enough.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:23 AM

I'm using both now. I use the climbing sticks where I have set-ups that I anticipate having to move a little during the season depending on deer travel. The screw in steps are used on my spots from seasons past that I don't anticipate moving.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2005, 10:08 AM

well if you already have a lone wolf hang on you are more than half way there. i have a lone wolf hang on and the climbing sticks and they stack together and attatch to the stand for easy transport w/ no noise. they come w/ a velcro strap to keep the together and you can use one of the straps for the stand to atatch the to your stand. you can set them up in less than 5 min. as one of the posters mentioned i would use it were i anticipated moving around some and have 4-5 less expensive or homade stand to put up in spots you have hunted year after year and now right where to be set up. in that scenario i use 8 inch bridge nails for the first 3 steps and then use a couple of screw in steps.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:46 AM

To avoid stand theft this season I am going to set up about 6 different locations with the EZ Hang hook system for the hang on. I will leave the hooks in the trees and bring my stand with me to whereever I choose to hunt on that given day. This will still give me the flexibility of multiple stand locations, with the bonus of still being able to hang a stand quietly. (I love this system by the way, I have been playing with it in the pre-season and it is real easy to hang the stand once the hook is up)

So, I will still need to carry in either steps or sticks plus the stand. I have manyscrew insteps, maybe I will just leave like three or 4 steps in the top of the tree and carry in two sections of the sticks. Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:05 AM

THIS IS WHAT I DO
ORIGINAL: hunttones

I've used both and have killed deer with both. The steps are easier to carry but take longer to get set up. The only advice I would tell you is if the climbing sticks come with rope, replace it with ratchet straps. As you go up the tree it is very hard to hold on to the tree and secure a rope tight enough.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the ratchet strap advice...the Lone Wolf's come with them I believe.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tough comparison. I have never used screw in steps but I have used strap on treesteps. The strap on ladder sections are more stable overall though they require more room and are not as flexible on trees that are less than straight.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't like the screw in steps at all. What I use is the strap on ladders from NonTypical. They are something like the Summit but are 4' long. I just strap 4 of them to the stand and backpack it in. Can go around the tree if brachesare in the way.

Quick Reply: Climbing Sticks Vs. Screw in steps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.