HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Heyguys - had accident, need advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/11408-heyguys-had-accident-need-advice.html)

eightwgt 10-01-2002 04:35 PM

Heyguys - had accident, need advice

Hey,

I cut through my left hand index finger knuckle with an electric miter saw (workin on home project) anyway, its been 4 weeks, I am supposed to hunt 2nd week of november. I can pull my bow back, BUT it hurts and I have to use a differant grip, one where the bow force rests on th heel of my palm..... TOTALLY which is very odd fopr me. Anyone ue a grip like this ?

ANY suggestions would be great..... I am not going to try and shoot for one more week....

Thanks

Tom

Edited by - eightwgt on 10/01/2002 17:51:05

Dork063 10-01-2002 04:44 PM

RE: Heyguys - had accident, need advice

um i would suggest maybe a release

Dork063 10-01-2002 04:44 PM

um i would suggest maybe a release

eightwgt 10-01-2002 04:54 PM

NO - I have a release. I am taking about my BOW HAND - The hand I hold my bow with. I cant grip with it at all....(no bow torque :) )
Seriously though..... Im a high grip guy.........

IrishLad32 10-01-2002 04:55 PM

Hey, Tom. If it's been four weeks already, and you don't have to hunt 'till the second week of November, your hand should be pretty well healed by then. Unless you almost cut your finger off, 9 weeks should be good time for healing. If it still hurts a little, maybe you could use some Tylenol or something. People who break bones get their casts off in 6-8 weeks, so I think a bad cut wouldbe ok by then. If you cut into the bone on your finger that's a different story. If you're still concerned as the time gets closer, talk to a doctor and see what he says about it.

God bless,
Brandan

eightwgt 10-01-2002 06:18 PM

IYes - I cut through the bone, and tendons, etc... The problm is this... I want to start practicing again, but I have to hod bow differant... so do I wait and not change grip or change is hat Im thinkin abot jussoI can practice more. I am naturally a good shot but was concerned because right before Idid this I had tried some new grip, holding methods I read in a new book... TOTALLY screwed me up - had me doing everything wrong. Now that I think about it Im an instinctive shooter anyway - I saterted using sights last year which was a BIG switch. I am a good shooter especially to 35-40 yards, but when I stiched my set up (including peep location) man it screwed me u - and gave me worse target panic I ever had... so I wanna switch things back and go with my old set up but now the hand problem which changes my grip....

Now understand my dilema ?

deercutter 10-01-2002 06:35 PM

Eighwgt If I were you Id give it a few more weeks without any practice . All your going to do is screw up your form and pick up some bad habits .Give it time you have more than enough time to practice before you hunt .

Good luck

Ouchigan 10-01-2002 07:02 PM

From personal experiance I would wait.I seperated my drawing shoulder(1/16" more -n- woulda had to have surgery) 2 yrs ago towards the end of July (here in Ohio bow opens 1st weekend in Oct)was told 6 - 8 weeks to heal and a couple more to be fully healed....welll come Sept. I figured it was healed enough to start shooten again.....it hurt like crazy and totally caused me to screw up my shooten form.....didn't get it right again till this summer so be safe and wait....at worst you'll have to postpone your trip.....better than hurten yourself or your form even more

If god didn't want us to eat animals....Why did he make them outa meat?

thundermug 10-02-2002 03:40 AM

Tom, I cut a finger to the bone a few years ago and it cut the tendon. I had to wear a brace on the finer for 6 weeks so it could heal. I couldn't draw my bow for a year cause the pain. It was my big finger on my right hand and my release was a hand type not wrist.

Talk to your doctor and get his opinion about whether it could cause any problems.

Take care!

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

Allen Denton 10-02-2002 06:26 AM

I agree with deercutter, you are going to develop bad habbits. Wait abit and then try again closer to time with "your old techneques". Good luck