Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Heyguys - had accident, need advice >

Heyguys - had accident, need advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heyguys - had accident, need advice

Old 10-02-2002, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Heyguys - had accident, need advice

Did you try taping it to the next finger? I know it's a change in your grip but worth a try..
Old 10-02-2002, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is the pain in drawing the bow, or does it hurt when you are at full draw. If it is legal in your state, you may be able to use a devise that will hold your bow at full draw because of your condition. If it were me, I would check into that, instead of missing a lot of hunting. But that is me, you need to do what is right for you.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do you grip your bow? If you are using a low grip you should be able to draw with the grip in the web of your thumb and index finger unless you cut it at the first knuckle. If that is the case it may be better to hold off to prevent further damage. Missing one trip is a small price to pay compared to never being able to comfortably draw/hold your bow again. I really hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

eightwgt I shoot with my bow open handed with the bow pulled against the area between my thumb and index finger, all the pressure is on that area with none on the index finger. I know it seems odd, but it works great. Just try it, you will be surprised.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-02-2002, 11:49 AM

I've used the grip you're talking about, but didn't have much luck with it. The bow (Q2) seemed to be unsteady from side to side. My shots were left and right. I hate to say it, but you might need to take some extra time off from bowhunting. Maybe, you could drop the poundage on your bow or possibly shoot with some kind of pad or glove on your hand.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:51 PM

TAZ, thats exactely the grip I cant use. The index finger knuckle is where I cut through... so I cant yet put pressure on any area that will 'pull' the skin on the knuckle.....

Tom
Old 10-03-2002, 07:27 AM

Yep, I use an open hand grip, I guess it's called the low grip, anyway the pressure is on the palm of the hand, I don't even wrap the fingers around the grip. I started using that grip with an old browning bow, to get rid of torque. That bow would jump completely out of my hand when I did it right. Hence the need for a bow sling.
I found that the sights had to be readjusted when I went to that grip style, but after I got used to it I was more accurate. I used to use a high grip I guess you would call it. Low grip is the way to go though.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I severed the big tendons in my left wrist a few years ago while butchering a deer (knife accident). The surgeon told me I required surgery and would not be able to hunt until it was properly healed (best part of bow season-including the rut). I did as I was told and hated every second of it, but now my arm is back to normal. If you start heeling the bow (using the heel of your hand) now, you'll wreck your form and have an even harder time correcting that when your back to normal. Use the low wrist position that bees suggests--that's the best way to shoot anyway and shouldn't present a finger problem since the fingers are either open or loosely relaxed around the grip.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]