Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Old 09-25-2005, 07:35 AM

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

MY STATE SETS THE BOUNDARIES OF WHAT I CAN AND CAN NOT SHOOT, AND AS LONG AS I FOLLOW THE RULES AND REGULATIONS, I AM WELL WITHIN MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO SHOOT WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT, EVERYONE ELSES OPINION ON THIS MATTER MEANS "JACK BONE" TO ME!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:46 AM

Ijust want some of you guys who don't shoot anything but mature bucks to come on down and hunt here where I hunt. I have been hunting for over 20 years I have 3 deer mounted. I have killed several other bucks that I have on plaques and many many does. Now if I only shot mature bucks that would equate to one every ten years on average. Is that your definition of hunting? I hunt because i enjoy it ad for deer MEAT. If I or anyone else chooses to take a legal deer and anyone has a problem with it...well guess what they can do. Its easy to pass on small bucks when you go out and see rack bucks every day but that's not the case here. Shoot what you want and be happy stop trying to force your own beliefsand "ethics" on everyone else
Old 09-25-2005, 09:01 AM

turtleshell, know why there aren't many mature bucks where your at?? 'Cause people like you kill them before they get mature... Hey, why not just shoot a fawn??? They're really curious and will walk right up on you. The meat is ohh so tender, and they're a lot easier to drag back to the truck. [&:]
Old 09-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

"laws of wolfen"...that's it, villanize me for trying to educate hunters on doing what is best for deer herds nationwide and hunters nationwide.

Oh, sorry... I meant
Old 09-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

this is a great topic ...........heres my .02, Im 34 yrs old and from the age of 5 to about 25...i took small bucks , does, etc. when i reached 25 i felt a change inside me, sort of an evolution if you will, i found that what i enjoyed the most was hunting mature bucks...and they are what i have exclusively hunted for the past 9 years. ive eaten lots of 'unfilled tag ' soup in the past 9 years and have lets hundreds of deer walk by me. Its more fulfilling for me to let a small 8 pt walk by than it would be for me to shoot him. If i want to fill a tag at the end of the year and i havent taken a mature buck i have no problem taking a doe, but ill never shoot a small buck. However, if others wish to take any legal deer then i say go for it...in the end its whats pleasing to us as individuals, its what makes each of our outdoor experiences rewarding... of course every trophy hunter wishes that every OTHER hunter would pass on all the small bucks but thats just unrealistic and will never happen, so i say do what makes you happy.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: zac76156

turtleshell, know why there aren't many mature bucks where your at?? 'Cause people like you kill them before they get mature... Hey, why not just shoot a fawn??? They're really curious and will walk right up on you. The meat is ohh so tender, and they're a lot easier to drag back to the truck. [&:]
They sure are...
Old 09-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: wvOHIOfan

in the past 9 years and have lets hundreds of deer walk by me. Its more fulfilling for me to let a small 8 pt walk by than it would be for me to shoot him.
Amen brother. What is even more fulfilling than letting a small one walk,is to see that same deer the following year in the same spot, sporting a much nicer rack. To each there own but I am with wvOHIOfan on this one.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

If one loves bowhunting and one respects the prey in which he hunts then one would responsibly do what is best for the betterment of the herd of the prey in which one hunts...ergo, to let young bucks go, so they can grow and to aid in balancing buck-to-doe ratios by harvesting does instead which is biologically factually proven to be the best condition for a herd to be in is quite simply the right thing to do.
Deer have been around for a pretty long time........their numbers used to be pretty low in many areas.........now in many states the deer populations are over a million and most game commisions would say the problem today is there are too many deer. Speaking from personal experience I know that when I was a kid you couldn't even get a doe permit by yourself...........now you can get 2 and have someone else sign over 2 more to you making 7 tags total.

That would be a massive success story to any person who truely cared about wildlife and nature........the goal of a dwindling species is to restore numbers to a self sustaining point.............take bald eagles as a nice example.

But you guys don't care about deer......or herds......or ratios.....or any of the crap that you list as a noble smokescreen for your lust of antlers.......you just want more deer in the woods with bigger racks so it will be easier to get your fix.

I don't know why you have such a hard time admitting that you just want more big racked bucks walking around so it will be easier to kill one.

I have a question for you though.........where does it end??? If every hunter didn't kill small racked bucks and the woods was as full with 120-140 class deer as it is now of 4 and 6 pt 1 1/2 yr olds would that be good enough??.........not by your logic. you would look at those bucks as non shooters now and would cry to let them walk..........then 160-180 then 180-200??

More and more state DNR's are realizing this and passing the almighty legislation that many drones seem to require as a guide before making a responsible decision.

You have to be kidding. Any DNR that is passing antler regs is doing so because of money........pure and simple. They see the money that hunters pay every year to go to the big deer hunting states and stay in their hotels and eat at their restaurants and buy their out of state tags. They know that horn humpers are willing to pay big bucks to show everyone how great of a hunter they are so they are trying to get a piece of the ever growing pie. MMTWGA.

Having access to an abundance of land, outfitters, baiting, high fences, and on and on is not a part of this equation.

There are often limits, laws, and restrictionson the size of a fish one can keep and there evidently must be on the size of a buck a hunter can take for so many people to ever be accepting of the concept which is unfortunate. []
This is another beauty.........fish regs are in place for 2 reasons. First of all you can catch and release a fish so it makes it a lot easier to work with. Secondly, these regs are in place to keep fish numbers at acceptable levels........not to provide "trophy" fish..........they want a kid to be able to go to a stream and toss in a line and actually catch a fish or two........no matter what the size.......imagine that [] Now imagine when that young kid hooks that fish he was told he couldn't fight it and bring it in because it wasn't "big enough"..............sounds pretty stupid huh?? Same thing is gonna happen when you sit a kid in a treestand and tell him not to get excited and just sit there because he isn't aloud to shoot the deer he is looking at because it isn't "big enough"

Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: PSEBO

WISH THIS FORUM HAD A PICTURE OF A BIG MIDDLE FINGER FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE TO CRITICIZE OTHER ETHICAL BOW HUNTERS, EVERYONE ELSE PEACE BE WITH YOU!
Hey PSEBO, Feel free to use these.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: capitalpyro

What is even more fulfilling than letting a small one walk,is to see that same deer the following year in the same spot, sporting a much nicer rack.
I thought they were so much wiser and harder to hunt if you let them walk? Guess not........if you keep seeing him year after year and the only thing that keeps him alive is your decision not to kill him............that isn't smart......it's lucky

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.