HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My last venison steak! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/113758-my-last-venison-steak.html)

JCNinOKC 09-21-2005 10:36 PM

My last venison steak!

Grilled up my last venison steak from last years deer tonight. Sure was good and tender.:) Now I just have to wait until next Saturday to restock on the good stuff. Come on Oct. 1st.:D

zac76156 09-21-2005 11:09 PM

RE: My last venison steak!

Yep, another Okie ready for the opener!!

Vogt_51 09-21-2005 11:12 PM

JCNinOKC,
Do you have any tips on cutting a good steak....We have never cut steaks out of our deer.....Its always either all made into burgers....minus the backstraps....or like last year we had it sent to the locker for salami and sticks....
So, any good beginners tips on cutting some good steaks?

JCNinOKC 09-21-2005 11:36 PM

The way I cut my steaks is that I leave the backstrap attached to the spine and I cut them in 1 inch of thickness. This gives me two fillets on each side of the spine and makes them easier for me to grill plus I get the added flavor of the bone when they cook up. It is a little more hassle but the added flavor is well worth it.

Dubbya 09-22-2005 12:11 AM

Hey another Norman Okie ready for Oct. 1. Get here baby.

gonzodemon 09-22-2005 12:51 AM

I debone the hams and sparate the muscles this is easy to do each muscle is defined . i then remove all senew with a sharp small knife . Then you cut steak as thick as you like but across the grain .Look at the meat you can tell which way the grain runs. I then use a tenderizing hammer to flatten steak out and add just a bit more tenderness as hams tend to be tougher. cook a piece if it is tough beat the rest of the steaks a bit more. I like a vacume sealer personaly but ziplock or paper you decide.

cardeer 09-22-2005 02:18 AM

I still have 3 tubes of baloney

marmax 09-22-2005 03:37 AM

I saved one pack of backstraps for next week before the opener here in Ohio. I hope I don't have to wait long for the refill. :D

Ohioredneck66 09-22-2005 05:41 AM

Anybody know where you can get some kind of diagram to give an idea on where to get some steaks other than the backstraps/tenderloins. I'm in the same boat as vogt in that we get everything other than thebackstraps/tenderloins into deer sticks/trail bologna/summer sausage/burger. I wouldnt mind havin some more steaks but i have no idea where to take them from. Thanks

PABowhntr 09-22-2005 05:51 AM

Is that wishful thinking or a fact? :D

Maybe I will get some fresh backstraps come next Saturday. ;)