Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My last venison steak! >

My last venison steak!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My last venison steak!

Old 09-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My last venison steak!

I just finished processing the doe I shot on Sunday. Made my own sausage kept some ground venison and of course trimmed the back straps. Every thing is already vacuum packed andin the freezer! The sausage is some of the best I've ever had. Used a kit from Cabela's then added a bunch of chunked cheddar cheese.........ummmmmm...ummmmmm.good!!!

I'll keep roasts and more steaks out of my next deer!!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 AM

We process all our own meat and we do Steaks and burger. We then take the burger and turn other things out of it.
The other place I can best recommend taking steaks from other than the straps is the hind quarters. We do ours bone-in on a saw.
We do not have a saw to do the actual cutting, so we process the dear down and remove the hind qtrs., pack them in a cooler and take them to a local process station where they cut them down into steaks for us. Most places, I would think, that process dear would do this for you for a small fee. I know the one place we go to takes care of it while we wait (15-20 minutes) so we know we are getting our meat back (my biggest fear with letting someone else process our animals. We only ask them to cut the steaks, no packing or wrapping. They then place them in a bag for us to carry out, and we go home and wrap and pack them.
I can tell you that the hind qtrs. are some GREAT eating as steaks!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Butchering a deer is just like butchering a beef. The one tip I have for you is that while most people get the backstraps, there is also a set of tasty, but smaller,loins underneath the spine that you cut out from inside of the rib cage. While I am sure there are better pictures out there, here is the one I have.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:44 PM

Butchering a deer is just like butchering a beef. We make our own steaks, burger, brats, sausage and roasts. Yep, the smoker comes in handy. The best tip I can give you is that while most people know about the backstraps on both sides of the upper spine, some are unaware that there is a smaller, yet just as tasty set under the spine that you cut out from the rib cage. I have a small chart that might help you. If you email me, I will send it to you. The uplink still does not work.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM

I gaev almost every deer I shot to needy families last year.I had one doe fawn for my freezer and my wife just made itatian venison with the last of it last week.I need opening day to get here and in a hurry.Wife let me buy a bigger deep freeze for my venison this year.We wanted to make sure we hade enough storage for atleast 3 deer for our household during the year.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:51 PM

Just 9 days to go...