Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone >

Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone

Old 09-21-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone

A couple quick question, First Im Now totally sold on razorcap broadheads, but I wondered what is the best stone to resharpen them with? My buddy sharpend his back to better than they came on about 5 strokes on an "Hard" Arkansas Stone. I mean these **** things were lasers.

I asked him how he did it and he said the sweet thing about Razorcaps were the way they laid down flat so you could sharpen the point just as deadly sharp as the body. He said he had also seen some "Old Timers" after using the stone make about 2 pass on some leather? He said then they became scary. I'm intrested in learning how to obtain this "Scariness" Can any "Old Timers" Help me out? maybe some suggestions on stones and leather?

Any Help Would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan
Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone

I haven't done the Razorcap thing yet. Probably won't since I've got a boatload of Snuffers I need to use up, sooner or later.

They probably sharpen like Snuffers, or any other 3-blade cut on contact head though. Lay the head flat on the stone across two edges and make about 5 strokes from back to tip, then flip to the next two edges and repeat, then repeat on the last pair of edges. Keep flipping it around and honing until it's sharp. Finishing on a hard Arkansas stone, I think, is just as good as stropping the edges on leather. You just need a stone a bit wider than the blades.

If you just want to use leather, get some saddle leather about 10" long, wider than the blades so you can laythe headflat like you sharpened it,and glue it on a 1X4 board.Flesh side DOWN, smooth side UP. Then rub some jeweler's rouge into the leather and then strop the blades.

You can also do the same thing using some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper instead of leather.

I prefer to use a medium diamond hone for rough honing my blades and a fine grit one for the finish hone. A diamond hone doesn't dish out after being used awhile like actual honing stones do. It's always flat, and that's a good thing.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 AM

Default RE: Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone

What I do is when i start I use medium presure then once sharp. I take another few strokes with a very light presure this generaly gets them as sharp as they will ever need be. I havnt done razorcaps but have done various others with great success.