Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 early season hunting?? >

early season hunting??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

early season hunting??

Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default early season hunting??

Today in Ecology Lab we went to a 60 acre natural area, where hunting is permitted. As soon as we broke off into groups i told my partners that i'd be back in 45 minutes. I had to do some scouting. I walked to the top of a ridge and found a secluded corn field. I found one really good trail and along the trail, i counted atleast 10 good rubs. Its adecent buck i'm guessing because of the tine marks on the trees, they are a good 7" higher than the main rub. The trail leads onto posted land so i cant get any closer to the bedding area. My question is, is this worth hunting in the early season or do i wait? Thanks guys.

Zach
Old 09-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Default RE: early season hunting??

Can't hurt to give it a try. He might be moving at night but then again you could get lucky.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 PM

I would start hunbting it right away.As long as it isnt in the open then you havea good chance of seeing him early enough to get a shot off.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 PM

If the area is used a lot, I would bet it is all at night, but, it can't hurt. What direction are the rubs facing? Toward the cornfield, or away? If they are away from the field, in other words, the buck was facing the field when he made it, it's likely an evening rub. If the rub faces the field, probably a morning rub.