Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Disappointment >

Spitfire Disappointment

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Disappointment

Old 09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Spitfire Disappointment

I shot a doe last night with a 100 grain Spitfire on an 29" ACC 360 out of a 65# Martin cougar at 16 yards. She was standing straight broadside, I hit here 3" Back from the shoulder and center of body in hight. Perfect double lung shot. I had NO pass through. I can not believe that this arrow didn't pass through. It left only a mark on the inside of the opposite side rib cage. I caught two ribs at the same time with the blades but that still shouldn't of mattered! It did leave a nice hole in the entrance side! I will not shoot another deer with these heads. I new I should of stuck with my Muzzy's. BBBB....BAD TO THE BONE
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Spitfire Disappointment

I tried the 125 grain Spitfires a couple years ago and lost two does,one week apart. Both were good hits, I left the woods and came back in the morning before work.
Good blood trail at first, then petered out. I found both arrows about 30 yards down the trail. Niether were pass thru shots.
I was shooting my FX at 60 lbs.
I went back to Magnus/Nugent 2 blade and have had pass thru shots on almost every deer since.
I know people that swear by the expandables but they just didn't work well for me. I hate losing deer.
It had been about 10 years since I had lost a deer up to that point.

It will be fixed blades,cut on contact for me!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 AM

My cousin uses the 125 gr. spitfires and absolutely annilated a buck this year with it. Complete pass through and there was tons of blood . It didn't even make it out of the field.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

shot the 100 gr spitfires for two seasons. first shot was on a four pt at 6 yds quartering away. poor arrow penetration, but that deer only made it 12 yds before piling up. the next was a doe I lost at 20 yds. poor penetration again. I only shot these because I was having set up problems and my bow was 2500 mi away with me in the usn. I don't understand how some of these celebrities have pass throughs all the time on video. my bow was a 70# xi shooting a 450 gr arrow at about 245 fps. I've since gone back to my trusty thunderhead 100s, and haven't had an issue since. hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 AM

I have taken 3 deer with the Spifires and 2 with the Scorpion XPs. All were pass throughs from my tree stand about 20 feet high.
I am now using Wasp Sharpshooters, Stingers and Slick Tricks just to see how these heads work this year.
Whether or not expandables work well or not is a dead horse. Too many arguments about them already. Just use whatever head you fell comfortable with.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buelhunter, you're right on the money. Too much energy lost on impact with mechanicals. I like the NAP Thunderheads. One less thing to go wrong, especially if it's a trophy in your sights.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I used 100gr Spitfires for several years because I couldn't get fixed blades to fly right out of my Mathews LX. I was generally disappointed with their performance and lost 2 well-shot deer while using them. One was a doe that was about 10 yards, did not get a complete pass through and a very poor blood trail. The other was a buck that also was a good shot at 20 yards, weak blood trail and never found him. Am going back to 100gr Thunderheads this year and have them shooting pretty well. I did shoot a buck last year, 20 yards quartering away that left a fantastic blood trail and the deer only went about 75 yards after the shot; so it wasn't every deer that was a problem.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take all your spitfire heads.No problem at all with them. I've taken several bucks and 2 does , plus a couple turkeys, all pass thru's, and excellant blood trails.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:50 PM

Big John, is that triangular cut in the heart from the Spitfire or when you were cleaning him?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:02 PM

All too often "we" blame the broadheads for "our" poor shots!

Quick Reply: Spitfire Disappointment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.