HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is there anyone here that doesn't use a tree stand? Or do all bow hunters use tree stands??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/113360-there-anyone-here-doesnt-use-tree-stand-do-all-bow-hunters-use-tree-stands.html)

JC308 09-18-2005 06:27 PM

Is there anyone here that doesn't use a tree stand? Or do all bow hunters use tree stands???

I here so many people say they use tree stands. I'v always just walked around untill I saw a buck and shot it, but I never bowhunted before ,so I guess you just canthunt on the ground if you Bowhunt or can you ?

ArcticBowMan 09-18-2005 06:39 PM

RE: Is there anyone here that doesn't use a tree stand? Or do all bow hunters use tree stands???

I've taken one animal from a tree stand with the bow. Most all of my hunting is done from the ground by spot and stalk or ambush. I recently picked up a ground blind to see how it would work. I've only taken one mule deer while spot and stalk hunting on the ground, and I will be blacktail hunting in October and in November on the ground with my bow. I've never tried whitetails though. From what I've read up on, they are a bit harder to stalk and shoot than pretty much any other type of big game.

davidmil 09-18-2005 06:42 PM

RE: Is there anyone here that doesn't use a tree stand? Or do all bow hunters use tree stands???

I'v always just walked around untill I saw a buck and shot it
That makes me tired just thinking about it.[8D][8D] I gun hunt a couple days a year in NY. More social affairs than serious hunting. BUT, we do most of that from the ground. The other 50-60 days of hunting are spent from above.:D I do occasionally set up in a ditch, or blow down or hedgerow when the situation calls for no stand. I've been successful at it too. Wind direction and movement are much more critical.

PABowhntr 09-18-2005 06:45 PM

I am in the same boat as David. When archery hunting I am typically either up in a treestand (75%) or on the ground in a ground blind (25%). I am almost never stalk or still hunt.

huntnma 09-18-2005 06:56 PM

my first bow kill was a sow hog, i was just walking and it winded me, but didnt spook, so i played the wind and snuck up in front of her and waited and when the time was right , i thumped her...i was walking to my stand though, lol......

utah300rum 09-18-2005 07:02 PM

Here in Utah most hunting is done from ground blinds or spot and stalk. A few use tree stands depending on the terrain, but in the areas I hunt there are few trees that would work well for a treestand.

ButchA 09-18-2005 07:03 PM

I always use a tree stand with bowhunting. For general firearms, sometimes I'lluse the tree stand, but mostly I do a slow stalk with either my Remington 870 or my Marlin 30-30, depending on the ordinances of the area I am in.

I seem to remember reading about Cardeer alwasy hunting from the ground and playing the wind. That takes tremendous skill to do that!

gonzodemon 09-18-2005 07:22 PM

I used to think that u had to hunt high up in a tree, then i started hunting from ground blinds. I have taken my last 6 animals (4 hogs, 2 deer) from the ground. So, I think u can take animals any way you hunt. Just practice good scent elmination and proper stand placement.

heeze gutshot shortee 09-18-2005 08:04 PM

Sometimes Im up... sometimes Im down....play the wind..keep quiet..be observant..be as scent free as you can... be stealthy...aim for the vitals

As for the walking around til you see a buck.....Do that in the preseason... its called .......scouting....that way youll know where the buck is.when season starts.... .shorter walk and a shorter day..Good luck to all of you hunting men!

pass_threw 09-18-2005 08:47 PM

on the ground all the time for me. i just got a nice doe by stalking her to about 25 yards.

PT