Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far off the trail do you place your stand? >

How far off the trail do you place your stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far off the trail do you place your stand?

Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 PM

Default How far off the trail do you place your stand?

I have found a heavily traveled trail through a dried up swamp. The only tree I can find that is suitable for a climber is about 10 yds. off the trail. Think this is too close? It has a perfectly clear lane across the trail in 2 spots.

Darrell
Old 09-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How far off the trail do you place your stand?

How are prevailing winds, how well will the tree break up your outline, how high can you get in the tree, how scent free do you get, will you have a good opportunity to draw your bow....etc.etc......
Old 09-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like 20 yard shots, so almost all of my stands are 15-20 yards from where I'll take the shots. I have hunted out of stands 10ft or closer to a trail, and when they come in that close it gets tricky making a shot, I found this out 3 years ago when I rattled in 2 bucks directly beneath my treestand, but it is fun to shoot a deer straight down thru the spine an stick him into the ground.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:56 PM

I can get about 12 feet off the ground...heavy tree cover behind so I think it should break up my outline pretty well. There were no winds today, but judging from the direction the leaves were laying on the trees, the wind should be blowing straight across the trail and into the woods behind me.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:59 PM

but it is fun to shoot a deer straight down thru the spine an stick him into the ground.
I guess at least then ya don't have to track him very far!

I was thinking the same though, 20 yards. Bow season opens in 2 weeks, how badly do you think I would spook them if I cleared out another spot a little further off the trail?

Old 09-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also have no ckoice only able to shoot 20 yards and i'm on the ground. So It gets frusrating ,but after a couple hundredhours it works out and one goes down
Old 09-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say that it depends on your direction...both in terms of wind and the way the deer will be approaching. I have set up in trails this close but I was usually under plenty of foliage and high enough off the ground. 20 yards is typically what I try to go for if possible.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try an set up for a 10-15 yd shot. I like things close.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 yds

anything less than 20 yds - and I don't even have to think about my pin. Also, I've had deer that were "spooky" duck the arrow at 20-25yds. That distance is about right for that to happen, longer and they don't react so violently, less - and they don't have time.

FH
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup, I like close. 10-20 yards is good. I've shot them straight down and far out, but given a choice Ilike that puppy about 10 yards away when I let it go. 12 feet is really borderline for height as far as I'm concerned. I hunt at what I feel is the minimum 18 feet up to 22 or 23. If the wind is wrong....just don't bother to go near the place.

Quick Reply: How far off the trail do you place your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.