Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A strand on my string broke >

A strand on my string broke

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A strand on my string broke

Old 09-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Default A strand on my string broke

I took my bow in to the shop today to have a replacement cord put on for my Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest. I got my bow back and noticed that a strand on my string had snapped. I know the guy that put the string on did not snap it. I took it up to him and asked him which string and cable I should buy. He said that it was a waste of money to replace the string and cables, since only half of a strand snapped. Should I replace my string and cable? To be honest with you, I cannot afford to do so now. Is it ok to hunt with this season, or should I go ahead and replace it?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A strand on my string broke

If it was only half of one strand, you should be ok. Just wax it really well so it doesnt fray out. Before I knew better, I'd shot bows with 5 or 6 strands broken and never had a thing go wrong.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:58 PM

yeah you should be ok for this year..just make sure you keep a close eye on the string to make sure no others have snapped..
Old 09-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tough call. I have shot a bow with one less strand on the string than normal for well over a month without any ill effects but I would be hard pressed to advise it for another individual. Too much risk there.

From a safety perpsective I would get it changed.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:13 PM

I don't know if it matters, but the string has 20 strands.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:53 PM

i know guys who purposely cut strands out to make thier bows faster. several fellas would take a 20 strand make it a 16. so one strand shouldnt bother at all. plus with bow season here u dont need the hassle of breaking in a new string
Old 09-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I cut3 strands completely on my string when I was trying to move the peep sight with a wrench[8D]Yes that was very dumb[:@].Anyways I got some super glue,and glued them down,and I keep it waxed good too.I have had no performance problems or signs of deterioration.I know I should replace it,but money is tight,and I only bow hunt for about a month,of which I have 3 weeks left.I have been shooting it like this for 1 month so far.So, 1/2 of 1 strand should be no problem.Just keep an eye on it,and wax her down.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

It will probably be alright. I hunted last year with one of my cables like that.
I have changed it now though.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

FORGET DA STRAND....JUST HUNT
Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 AM

I have two strands missing on my bowtech. It works fine and the string has not stretched since the day I bought it. I will most likely get a new string and cable this spring. I shoot quite a bit too.

Like PAbowhunter, I'm not going to flat out tell you it's ok. I will say that I have done it will no ill effects. Of course it could blow up on me later today?

Remember that the string is under tension while at rest, and at full draw it has less tension on it. If it is going to break it will most likely do it while its sitting or after the shot (would would suck!).

Paul

Quick Reply: A strand on my string broke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.