Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Laws are to Easy on those that break them >

Laws are to Easy on those that break them

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Laws are to Easy on those that break them

Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Laws are to Easy on those that break them

I was reading the thread about the stolen treestands and think we all agree that most of those that archery hunt are good folks. But the laws regarding the sport are rediculous. I realize that if they are willing to steal your stand, especially on private property, they are willing to hunt without a licsense. But a second offense should be worse.
A couple years ago I was hunting private property the first week of November. I was the only one who had permission to hunt it. About 45 minutes before dark I have a small 8 come out directly below my stand and would out about 25 yards. The buck looks to the left and I hear KA BAMMM. Almost fell out of the tree. The buck hunches up runs about 50 yards and piles up. I get down out of of the tree walk the 20 yards and look out the opening in the hedge row across the field to the road. I don't see anyone. I run up the Farmers house to get someone else to be out there with me when they come to get the deer. By the time we are back they have the deer loaded on a 4 wheeler and a driving acorss the field. We saw where they went and followed. It turned out to be a friend of the farmers neighbor who was driving in and saw the buck through the opening and had his 16 year old son shoot it across the hood of the truck. Rifle season did not open for another 3 weeks. Well the farmer called DNR and they came out and you what they got? A $100 fine and 2 points on their liscense. It takes 10 point in 1 year to loose it for 5. That was it. I was pissed. Oh and they got to keep the deer. I could go on with more stories of folks poaching and tresspassing on almost every farm I work hard to get permission to hunt on. We as honest archers need to start writig letters to DNR or Fish and WIldlife and push to make the laws meet the crime.... or at least deter it.
Thanks for listening
Old 09-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Default RE: Laws are to Easy on those that break them

I agree that law breakers are let off way to easy. But the saddest part is every time someone breaks the law it makes hunting harder on the people that are honest, ethical hunters.[:'(]
Old 09-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

They got away with murder
Old 09-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Wow thats awful. I don't think they would get off so easy around here.
The game warden may as well not even show up if that's all he's going to do.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh and they got to keep the deer.
What they did was bad enough and I agree that the punishment should have been worse but this little bit at the end really chaps my a.... I think that not allowing them to have the deer is probably the biggest deterrent from having it happen again. BIG mistake to let them have it.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know you can't be from Wisconsin. Our poaching penalties are pretty darn tough , and I like it that way.
Get caught poaching deerhere and you'll get a nice little $2000 fine , license privilages revoked for minimum of one year (usually 2 - 3) , weapon confiscated , and if your poaching from your vehicle (any vehicle) ,that can be confiscated as well.

Oh , and they don't get to keep the deer either. It gets donated to Hunters Feeding the Hungry.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:35 AM

They got away with murder
Pistol whip them...
Old 09-17-2005, 05:10 AM

It really should be a stiff penalty. I like the idea that they loose overything that was involved in the use of the Crime. I wish they would do that here. It that scenario he would have lost the truck, rifle, ATV and the Deer. Might make folks think twice about poaching.
I talked with the local DNR agent last year. They one of those Mechanical bucks to get roadside hunters and they set up stings. Well last year on the last day of Rifle they set it up about 100yards of the road and they ended up getting over 23 people in 8 hours shooting at this deer from their vehicles. And each only got a small fine. Why bother doing it. He said all he can do is work the Law the way it is written. I think I am goin to spend some time writing some law makers.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WBowhunt

A $100 fine and 2 points on their liscense. It takes 10 point in 1 year to loose it for 5.
I don't think that penalty is severe enough. You would think this penalty would be for a "minor" infraction and not something as serious as this. And to top it off they keep the deer? [:'(] A $100 fine 50 years ago is one thing but in todays society it's not something alot of folks would be concerned about. Heck, around here the police can fine you $300 just for littering!

Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote-Oh and they got to keep the deer.
Thats like robbing a bank,getting caught,and being allowed to keep the money.[]Makes no sense but I can see that happening.

Quick Reply: Laws are to Easy on those that break them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.