Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethical/Legality? >

Ethical/Legality?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical/Legality?

Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 AM

Default RE: Ethical/Legality?

You are wrong LAWFULLY if you trespass but not necessarily ETHICALLY in every circumstance. Again, focus on the end of that sentence - not in every circumstance. In most circumstances, yes, but not all. Believe it or not, the world is not black or white all of the time.

Sometimes people break laws they feel are unjust as in the case of civil disobedience. If I felt I'd have to break the law to retrieve an animal (I'd rightfully hunted on land that I had permission to hunt) by crossing a few yards over onto someone else's land that I knew would not grant me permission, then I'd do it - out of respect for the animal and because my intent was not to create this situation.

Not everyone can afford to buy land but everyone who is responsible should be allowed to hunt on public land or land where the landowner has granted permission. Not everyone lives in parts of the country with vast tracts of public or privateland available to hunting. Quite often, hunters on public or private land are forced to hunt near bordering property lines because of the sheer number of hunters sharing the property with them. Again, the world is not black and white. Try and think outside of your particular situation.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huntingus I see your spellin could use a little help also[:@]
Surprised you noticed!

And don't worry about me I have broad shoulders
Your going to need it pal.I truly feel bad for you. I cannot imagine having to go throught life or a hunting season always worring about what others might do. It's a little pathetic to be honest with you.

Best of luck................in hunting and in life.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks its nice to know you care.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 09-16-2005, 09:16 AM

Well now wheres the dude who fired off that there in IL. you are allowed to retrieve your deer no matter what,then someone posts the actual law that you are NOT allowed to retrieve the animal if the landowner says no.

Another hunter running their mouth about stuff and have no clue as to the actual law.

I bet the people saying they would have no trouble jumping over the line to retrieve an animal no matter what the law or landowner says,would have no trouble shooting a massive 200" buck that just happened to be a little on the other property line.

I dont care what you post on here for your answer,I KNOW DARN WELL YOU WOULD TAKE A SHOT AT THE DEER.

If your told no then its no. Yeah it sucks that you do not get the deer but it does not go to waste.The other critters in the woods gotta eat. What about the 10's of thousands of deer hit by cars and going to waste in the woods.Their not going to waste,something will get a meal out of it.

Bottom line,if you are told no,then stay the hell off those folks land. If your state allows you to enter private property to retrieve your deer,fine. But how about taking the time to read the stinking laws posted in your states hunting guide.[:@]
Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 AM

Your mom goes to college!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM

Many states have laws covering the retrieval of game, and laws concerning the waste of game. This post should be a wake up call to those hunting in states where you might be denied access to land should it be neccessary to retrieve game. Quit bitching on the internet, and start making calls, and writting letters to the officals in your state.

As far as hunting on private property goes, if one has permission to hunt there, then they can hunt where ever they please. Be it forty yards from the posted land, or forty inch. The posted signs only control the hunting on your land. Most hunter place their stands where they are seeing sign. If it happens to be near the border then it happens to be near the border.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Here in Maryland if your game is lawfuly kill on properly that you have permisson to hunt on and cross the boundry line, you can call the game warden and he will ****** you to your deer! Even if the land owned told you no that you couldn't get the deer, once the game warden arrives there is nothing that land owner can do!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:54 AM

I am not a huge fan of tresspassers, in fact, it is one of the largest banes of my existances. Every year we have a few people knock on the door saying "I shot this doe or this buck and it ran into your land over there and could we go in and get it". Always have said yes.. But I have my doubts now about a few people. It is the classic way for people to ask to drive deer of the property when they know they wouldn't get permission to hunt the ground..The deer aren't mine but the dishonesty really gets to me. Not to mention the liability issues. Guys, are you going to sue the land owner if you slip in to his field to grab that animal and than step in a hole and break an ankle? Believe it or not, it happens. Or the guy who walked through a fence with out permission and cut himself bad with a barb? It happens. The lawsuit may never get very far but it costs the landowner money and time.

This year, the answer will be "Show me where it is and I will get it for you." Not my decision entirely as the the father in law passed the decree down to me just yesterday but after seeing people "tracking" a deer with no blood while walking down ditches towards where others were waiting with loaded guns I really can't blame the decision.

What this really boils down to is that many, many people are truely being honest and honarable about what they are doing. But all it takes are a couple of real bad apples and it can spoil it for everyone. It is a real shame. I don't know why this landowner refuses to give permission.. Maybe it is a hatred of hunting. Maybe he/she has had a bad experience with a injury on their property.. It could be a number of things. Or in some situations it could be a misunderstanding/lie. People used to think they couldn't track animals on to our ground because we said no hunting... That, was about as far from the truth as possible.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good post IL Rancher, and it only takes one untruthful person to make a landowner feel like this.

Quick Reply: Ethical/Legality?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.