Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Survival Pack

Old 09-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Survival Pack

in the places that i hunt i know the area very well and am relatively close to civilization(by close i mean within a mile of a house, on mostly open farm land). if i were in an area that i wasn't knowledgable about i would definately carry some kind of survival stuff.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

How many of you carry survival items in your pack? If not, why not??

It doesn't take much to make a small survival kit to put into your pack. A small tube tent or small tarp, fire starter, dry tender (dryer lint), whistle, space blanket, and mirror are just a few items to consider and only cost a few dollars.
There are a lot of other thing you can do to make sure you have a safe hunt this year. Sound off and name a few other survival hints:
1. Make a print of your shoe and leave it at home with a map of where you will be and when to expect you home.
Great topic Redbear!!
I carry those items and a small medic pack(butterfly stitches,bandaids,travel pack of tylenol(little tube kind),alcohol swabs, and a MREmeal complete (military meal ready to eat,you can even get themon e-bay pretty reasonable)and they come in pretty handy if your needing a hot meal when your stranded.
As for a fire starting kit,I use a 9 volt battery with some 000
steel wool(just touch the steel wool to the connectors and
it'll burn,shove that in a sandwitch bag of dryer lint with some dry leaves and you got fire!)(good one redbear i've been use'in that for years)
My Dad is a ex-Navy Seal and he taught us kids to be prepared
for anything!!If you have the theorythat the one poster did then you'll be the one that wishes you did have that stuff!!!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

i usually bring a couple compasses, a knife, lighter(s),small first aid kit, extra batteries, some food but usually not a lot and tons of water so i should be ok if i got lost....i always tell everyone where i'm huntin' and huntnma and i usually keep in touch throughout the day so we've got each other's backs if needed.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually take a snake-bite kit, a space blanket, and some type of firestarter. Other than that...I don't take much.

As you can tell, I don't wanna get stuck out there and get bit by a snake (early season) or freeze to death (later season.)

I got enough stuff to carry without carrying a 20 pd survival pack.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 PM

I only carried basic gear before, since I'm hunting the high peaks region of the adirondacks this year i've put alot more thought into a survival pack. In fact my first scouting trip up hear damn near ended with a night in the woods, I was carring my basic pack (fire, a little food, 2 way radio, knife) that would have been one uncomfortable night. Now my "deep" pack is set with "comfort" and survival in mind. I too use MRE's. One for lunch and one for emergency.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:12 AM

Well I'm usually hunting on my own property(btw I have four does that are on it every morning). But when I'm hunting on farmland I carry :
1. First Aid kit w/snake bite kit and any meds I need
2. Some way to start fire, (matches, lighter and lint)
3. GPS and Compass
4. Knife
5. High energy and fattyfood
6. water and tabs for purifing it.
I'm rethinking my kit this year, I'm planing on doing a backpacking hunt with my old man and I might need a little more.

Also I'm new to this board but I like it!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:52 AM

I?M IN THE SAME SITUATION; BUT I ALWEAY CARRY MY CELL, A NICE LIGHT SOURCE AND SOMETHING TO EAT
ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

in the places that i hunt i know the area very well and am relatively close to civilization(by close i mean within a mile of a house, on mostly open farm land). if i were in an area that i wasn't knowledgable about i would definately carry some kind of survival stuff.