Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 both eyes or one eye open? >

both eyes or one eye open?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

both eyes or one eye open?

Old 09-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: both eyes or one eye open?

I would encourage everyone to use both eyes when shooting bow. Another way to look at it is, when using only 'one eye' you're only using 50% of your vision--why shut down the other 50% if you can use the other eye as well. I've personally found shooting with both eyes open improves my confidence and this will count towards making a good shot.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot with only one eye open and can typically follow my arrow to where it hits...but not always though.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:06 AM

I also shoot with both eyes open. Everyone who shoots with both eyes open sees double. You just have to focus on the spot and your pin will slowly fall into place. You will see two images of the pin, one to the right and one to the left. A right handed archer should use the set of pins to the left.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:31 AM

With both eyes open I see multiple pins, so I line up the peep and pin with one eye closed and then open them both for aiming and releasing. Seems to work well for me.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot instinctive so I use both eyes. I think the double vision thing also depends on which eye is dominant. My left eye is dominant so if I was using a peep I'd probably see double with both eyes open.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: zak123

I also shoot with both eyes open. Everyone who shoots with both eyes open sees double. You just have to focus on the spot and your pin will slowly fall into place. You will see two images of the pin, one to the right and one to the left. A right handed archer should use the set of pins to the left.
if your seeing double of everything you are either not focusing hard enough on the shot, or youare shooting with the wrong hand. meaning, you have a dominant eye situation there like Talondale mentioned.

PT
Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 AM

I shoot with one eye myself.I dont worry about having to hurry and open my left eye.If you take the time to practice you can still get it open in time after the shot and see what you hit.but training yourself not to jerk open your eye after the shot is crucial.It can make you jerk the bow.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:16 AM

I absolutely cannot use both eyes.... However I have excellent vision in both eyes and can see things in the distance that other people can't.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

don't know why, but i never even really considered keeping both eyes open, just thought it was normal to close one and use the peep with the other i guess. i'll try it later just for the heck of it to see what it's like though.
Heavy on the 'later' part. That's not something you want to do this close to hunting season. It can mess you up for a little while. Keeping both eyes open is the 'best' way to go. On the other hand, even though it works for most people, it does not work for all. You've got to do what works best for you, no matter what the experts decree is best.

A lot of being able to see where you hit depends on the fletching you use. If you use dark fletching, you'll never see it. That's why I've always liked bright fletching on my hunting arrows. If I'm worried about concealment, I use a camo cover over the fletches in my quiver.

Also, the faster an arrow is going, the harder it is to see. Once it gets over about 250 fps, my eyes have a hard time following it even in the best, brightest lighting conditions. It's hopeless in lower light.

Knowing where you hit is crucial to deciding how long to stay put and let the arrow do it's job before starting to trail the critter. Do whatever you need to do to see that arrow hit.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both Eyes Open.