Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you use a safety strap while climbing? >

Do you use a safety strap while climbing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you use a safety strap while climbing?

Old 09-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Do you use a safety strap while climbing?

Just curious is anybody uses a safety strap while climbing witha climbing treestand? That seems like a real pain in the ars. I know its the probobly the time when you are most likely to have an equipment malfunction, and fall, but I don't think I would ever be patient enough to stop and slide the safety strap up as I go.
I am actaully going to use a safety strap while in the tree for my first time this year.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Do you use a safety strap while climbing?

I typically do not go up a tree using one. I take my time and make sure that I get up the tree safely and then I secure myself before I do anything else.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use a strap, but never again. I use a full harness (SOP) these days. Reason being that I 58 now. A whole lot less agile, but a whole lot smarter. I don't find it much of a pain to move it up the tree as I climb. It's much more convenient than dying in case of a fall. It adds about 3 minutes more to the time of climbing into position.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a full harness now going into the stand, in the stand, and coming out of the stand. I know of too many acidents happening every year, and I'm sure this year will be no different.

Anyway, I now use an ascender to climb into and out of the stand. There is no time at all that I do not have a safety harness on.

1 out of3 hunters that hunt from a stand will experience a fall. 75% of these falls happen when climbing into or out of a stand.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a full harness that is attached to the tree the second I step onto my climber. It is a pain to move it as you go up but in my opinion it's a small detail that can save your life.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 AM

If my feet leave the ground the safety harness is on and attached.
Actually it's easy to slide the rope up and down while using a climber. I'm up a tree in under 5 minutes.

Falls happening while climbing or descending. Think of your friends and family when you debate on using safety harness. Do you want them to have the hardship of caring for you after you fall and seriously hurt yourself? A $50 safety harness is a heck of a lot cheaper than a motorized wheelchair that you operate with a blow tube.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:34 AM

I agree--I'm using the same setup as BobCo19-65. It is very easy to setup and operate, and I think worth every second
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Full harness from the minute I step into my climber until I step out of it.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:54 AM

I use a harness but do not fasten it around the tree untill in position to hunt. I do fasten it to the seat part of my climber... that way if my platform falls out from under me while climbing I won't fall because I'm attached to the seat by my harness.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:04 PM

I URGE you to wear the belt all the way and up and all the way down.

Im pretty into treestand safety, but even I get a little lazy once in a while. Thats gonna change.

I just had a mishap TODAY! I normally attach the tree strap from my harness when I get to about 10 feet or so, and continue climbing. Well luckily I did that, and I will start attaching itthe minute I step on standnow.

I was climbing this morning on a tree with loose shaggy bark, when suddenly the climbing aid let go and the stand and I slipped down the tree, I came to an abrupt stop that knocked my glasses off, knocked the wind out of me, and cut up my thumb. The stand almost took a trip to the bottom of the tree, but I pinned it with myleft foot. (more luck than skill). LUCKILY that abrupt stop I felt,was then end of my harness strap, and NOT the ground which was about 18 feet below.

WEAR THE HARNESS! AND WEAR IT ALL THE TIME!!!!

Quick Reply: Do you use a safety strap while climbing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.