HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Final bow decision (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/112734-final-bow-decision.html)

TimDevlin 09-14-2005 08:25 AM

Final bow decision

I'm runnning out of time here, so I have narrowed down my bow considerations. A local shop has a new Q2 for $500...not sure how great a deal that is since it's another $200 - $300 to finish it. Huntersfriend has a lot of nice setups ready to go. I was looking at the CSS Swampmaster as well as the top end bows they have there. Question I have is the extra $250 and up worth it on those new design bows? I have to wait either way because the local shop here doesn't have the rest I want, so I have to order it.
I figure Huntersfriend will set it up nicely and deliver it soon enough that it might be the way to go.
Any Opinions?
Is a Mathews going to own up to all that hype over the other bows?

Thanks
Tim

PABowhntr 09-14-2005 08:29 AM

RE: Final bow decision

I think the Q2 was an excellent bow and think that $500 is a very good deal on a new one. You typically get all of the "bells and whistles" when you buy on the high end of the price scale though that isn't necessarily saying that you need them to take a deer.

On the other hand Huntersfriend does have a nice enterprise going and I have only heard good things about their service and equipment. Either route should provide a relatively satisfying experience though I always tend to lean towards the local dealer in such discussions.

TimDevlin 09-14-2005 08:39 AM

Thanks for the quick reply...I was wanting to go with a local dealer and a the same time did not want to get locked down with one. It might the path I take anyway. Huntersfriend packages come with some stuff I already have...like the release and whatnot...so I guess I just need to do something so I can get shooting (most important part).
Thanks
Tim

TimDevlin 09-14-2005 08:42 AM

Oh yeah, I did look at some used bows (on ebay and local) and figure that I am going to keep this bow for the next 5-10 yrs so that "original" purchaser warranty is valuable.
So is the SB worth the extra $200...that is the tippity top and not far from where I am at.
Again,
Thanks
Tim

foulmouthfool 09-14-2005 09:06 AM

If you go shoot a Pearson, you won't want to spend that extra $200

atlasman 09-14-2005 09:22 AM

There are PLENTY of bows out there that are better deals at $400 then the top end bows are at $700..............having said that I do feel that the top end bows are great products. They are not worth $700 bare but they are better.

You can kill a deer with any bow on the market today.............it all comes down to what feels best in your hand and your wallet.

I gave my brother a Fred Bear TRX a couple years ago because he was hurting for money and needed a bow. That bow was about $500 fully setup. He shoots 290's in 3D league and that bow has killed a deer every year for the last 3 years with no problem at all. It has a little hand shock and is slower then my Patriot is but other then that it is a quiet, smooth shooter and a more then capable deer killer.

Do I like my Patriot better??...........Yes.

Would I be happy with the TRX if that was all I could afford??..........Yes.

Find what is best for you in every area and you will soon forget about what name is on your bow limbs and start worrying more about putting a deer in the freezer.

Best of Luck.

TimDevlin 09-14-2005 09:36 AM

I understand what you are saying completely. A different topic I aggreed that Mathews is a name that you pay for. The problem is that I can't find a local dealer around me that has any quality bows at a cheap price. I have a Dick Sporting Goods that sells the Parker Buckhunter...but I want to avoid the dual cam. Everything else they have is garbage, nothing that is on their website. I drove for an hour and a half yesterday (cause of traffic, not distance...22 miles) to go to a place tha had the same thing. Very nice store, but only expensive bows. I just found out that there is another shop that I will go to today nearby. They aren't in the paper, but the mathews site list them as a dealer. I called, and they are a full up and running shop. Guy said he has some bows on sale...so we will see.
I just need a bow that will last me a good amount of time. I don't mind spending money on a quality product (not that a $400 bow isn't one...just dont have any around me) so long as it will last a while. So hopefully I can get a good bow there and if not, it'll have to be a Mathews or HunterFriend.

Thanks.
Tim

Double Creek 09-14-2005 10:03 AM

I wouldn't worry about the warranty ona bow........ I've been at it for 15 years and I've never had any issues........ Most issues you see on this site are with people who don't know what the hell they are doing.........When I buy a bow, the warranty never enters my mind...... I would much rather by a top end bow on Ebay for $400 than to buy a new mid range bow for $400.......

JeramyK 09-14-2005 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I wouldn't worry about the warranty ona bow........ I've been at it for 15 years and I've never had any issues........ Most issues you see on this site are with people who don't know what the hell they are doing.........When I buy a bow, the warranty never enters my mind...... I would much rather by a top end bow on Ebay for $400 than to buy a new mid range bow for $400.......
I really didn't worry about a warranty either until I finally found myself in a situation where I needed one. I bought a Switchback this past Saturday from someone over at ArcheryTalk. I got it home and put a few shots through it but the last shot had the string come off the bottom cam.

Too make a long story short I am now in a situation where I have to pay for repairs to this bow. You can read the details in my thread over in the technical section : http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1199631

Critr-Gitr 09-15-2005 07:35 AM

Well, I know not everyone here is a believer of these places like Hunters Friend, but I bought the Tomkat package from them earlier this year and have been very impressed. My nearest "local" dealer of any kind is 120 miles away...you get the picture.

It was everything they said it would be when it came in. Even at 30 yds right out of the box I only had to adjust the sights about 6" or so, and it will keep them in about 3" groups (30 yds). I can also tell no difference in accuracy or point of impact with broadheads. Even though I am no expert, there is nothing that I can find with the tuning on this bow I would change. Very positive experience for me.